-In the last decade youth services have suffered 70% funding cuts.
- 750 youth centres have been closed resulting in 4,500 youth workers losing their jobs.
- Birmingham has higher levels of deprivation compared to England & Wales.
- 32% of 15-year-old girls and 11% of 15-year-old boys report self-harming.
- In the last five-year suicide among 15-19 years olds has increased.
- Young adults who suffer financial hardship as children have significantly greater than average chances of earning lower wages, being unemployed, spending time in prison (men) or becoming a lone parent (women).
There are so many more alarming statistics surrounding the development and wellbeing of young people in our nation. We see that one main reason is the lack of opportunity and safe spaces that our young people have at their disposal.
It is even more alarming that one of the most deprived areas in Birmingham has no youth centre for young people to develop, express and be safe.
Hockley has high rates in youth crime and deprivation which can be precursors to further plights in later life. However, by building a youth centre in Hockley, Birmingham it will provide young people the opportunity, space and freedom to find and explore their greatest selves; aswell as providing job opportunities for youth workers.
There is a need. A need for stability, a need for safety, a need for support.
Help us provide these to the great generation to come.
THIS WORLD NEEDS THEM…THE BEST VERSION OF THEM.