HOORAY! We have reached our funding target. We have set a new stretch target to raise £2,000 to run a peer project led by young people to build confidence and aspiration in disadvantaged youngsters who will most benefit from our inspirational real work experience projects.
We Rise is a new community business that aims to grow a generation of confident, creative, enterprising young people in Brixton. We coach disadvantaged youngsters to work on real projects so they develop skills, confidence and connections, and learn how to create value for local businesses and organisations.
Lambeth is bursting with economic opportunity but entrenched inequality means talented young people miss out. While well-off parents use social networks to help their kids get good jobs, one in three Lambeth children are growing up in poverty. Black residents are four times more likely to be unemployed.
Access to high quality work experience is crucial. But the traditional model doesn't work for today's economy. Most placements don't develop skills young people need and employers can't give young people real work. We need to reinvent work experience for the 21st century.
We Rise galvanises employers, schools, young people and the community around a collective effort to prepare young people for their future through real projects that reflect the realities of 21st century work.
We get real project commissions from organisations and we coach young people to deliver, working in teams alongside professionals to define, create and present a project in one week.
We target 16-21 year olds from disadvantaged backgrounds growing up around Brixton and give them an opportunity to express their creativity and receive recognition from real clients. We help employers access a more diverse pool of future talent. Our model for 21st century work experience meets the needs of employers and young people.
Our first projects exceeded our expectations, delighting our clients and creating life-changing experiences for young people - who we saw visibly transform over the course of one intense week.
"It really inspires you to visualise your future. It's an amazing experience".
"It's given me a lot of confidence. It's eye-opening".
"This will definitely help me get a job in the future"
"I've learnt so much in this one week".
"We received a fantastic end product and we were able to assist young adults starting out on their careers" Safer London Business Partnership
"Absolutely brilliant ideas. You left me in no doubt you could deliver a campaign" Post Office
We are looking for support to scale up to reach every disadvantaged young person in our community.
Here's what it costs us to make a difference:
- £10 gives a young person one day on an intensive, inspiring work experience project
- £50 gives a young person an amazing week where they deliver a real project from start to finish, learn modern skills, meet new people and boost their confidence
- £100 gives 20 of the most disadvantaged young people a fun and engaging one-day taster session in the community to inspire, introduce them to local professionals and recruit them for up a life-changing week long project.
We need to raise £5,358 to fund a three month community outreach campaign to reach, inspire and recruit the most disengaged young people.
We are at the beginning of our journey. If we succeed we not only inspire young people to succeed, but we harness their ideas, creativity and talent to benefit our whole community. Together, we rise.
Big Thanks from the We Rise Team
- Abigail Melville has 30 years experience in public affairs across public, private and voluntary sectors
- James Flitcroft is Head of Careers at Latymer Upper School
- Emma Francis is Corporate Responsibility Manager at Zurich insurance plc
- Dr Anita C Hall is a Senior Teaching Fellow at Imperial College London
- David Njie is an Adolescent Mental Health Practitioner working in schools and youth settings.
- Estella Reed is Head of People and Culture at freelancers platform Yunojuno
- Ray McFarlane is a Film Director and Coach
Our special limited edition hand-printed T-shirt.