WHAT IS IT?
Wellclose Square Saturday Market is more than a market - it's an opportunity to reclaim and revitalise historic public space through the provision of a platform of opportunities for local businesses, cultural groups and community organisations. Wellclose Square through it's market will evolve into a connector between generations, cultures and technologies - a role akin to that it previously enjoyed when established 333 years ago.
The market will be embedded within a diverse area that we want to support and help thrive. Wellclose Square is East London's Oldest Formal Square, and the changing nature of this (currently neglected) city square over time inspires our vision.
The vision considers:
the past - we wish to REVIVE the memory of the area
the present - we will CREATE a market where people can meet and discover
the future - the market aims to CONNECT a place and community to the wider context of London, progressive developing thought, culture and technologies
WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
- purchase market equipment e.g. gazebos, tables, benches
- market the event using posters and social media
- pay for permissions
- provide free wifi to the square and enable cashless payments
- provide free food hygiene training
- provide entertainment and cultural shows
- financially support new enterprises through the provision of market
- marketing for specific sectors of the market offer e.g. performance, workshops and training
- we are committed to create opportunities for people
- the market animates a neglected area once a week and invites all peoples to mingle
- Wellclose Square aims to periodically transform an area to a bustling hive of activity - making it an inclusive place for local people and visitors from wider London
- we wish the square to be filled with amazing animation and community spirit
- a neglected place becomes a place to exchange, relax, have fun, inform, connect and create
- the vision is instigated by a Community Interest Company- ‘Public Projects’ - committed to improving the life of a neighbourhood
- Public Projects also works closely with the Tenants and Residents Association of St George’s estate the Housing Association Eastend Homes and LB Tower Hamlets
- Wellclose Square Market will create pathways into work, support local makers and producers, and be an exciting revived place for the community to come together, connect and build civic pride