Ok before we get into the mechanics of this crowdfund let's get a couple of things nice and clear. Theresa-saurus Rex is showing strong signs of her trigger finger on Article 50.
We may not like it, but it's looking more and more likely to happen.
Like most of us living in Brighton and beyond, some of our friends, lovers, families and colleaguesinclude EU nationals and people from even further afield.
The goal for this initiative is to crowdfund 20 of Marwood's Life Changing Cakes to give away every day to anyone living in Brighton who may not have been born in the UK.
Why donate? Well apart from the good feeling that comes when gifting cake, we will also write your name on each cake so the good EU people of Brighton know who gifted them their free slice.
For every £2 you donate we will put your name (first name and initial) on a cake. Maximum 7 names per cake
Every £15 donation means you can gift an entire cake. You can provide us with a 27 character messagealso if you wish. Great if you're a group of friends or Brighton business wanting to show support.
So what's the point of all this? This isn't meant to be some serious political statement, this is simply about addressing that fact that there maybe a number of people living in Brighton, who are feeling unsure if Brighton is still the right place for them. Heck even we don't know what's going to happen so it's perhaps understandable that this feeling might be there.
We're hoping to show solidarity and show through the small gesture of free cake, there's a lot of lovefor our EU and non-EU residents - if you weren't here in Brighton we'd really miss eU!
If we don't raise enough for this to happen, or if Article 50 isn't triggered (unlikely, but possibility) then every single penny/cent of donations will go to supporting the Right To Remain projects.
***READ ME BEFORE DONATING***
So now to answer the predictable questions that will no doubt come up, please read the below;
1) The price of cake has been calculated to include
- all ingredients
- STAFF and OPERATIONAL costs
- It's a 12 slice life changing cake
2) Please don't start banging on about how Brexit is a disaster or a blessing. There are much better ways to get your point across than by shouting at a bunch of nonchalant baristas. We do all of our political debating, arguing and shouting in person, not over the internet.
3) 1 slice of cake per EU national. There may be days when we might run out of slices and we only have enough space in our bijou bar to put out a couple of cakes per day so please don't a) moan if we have run out b) come back with a fake moustache and try and get a second slice...that's not cricket.
4) We won't be exchanging the slice of cake for anything else. It will be a slice of cake and that's that. Check with staff if you have any allergies or for ingredients list.
5) Management reserves the right to serve the rude, unfriendly or curt, regardless of where you are from.