There are few people in Atherton who haven't visited the Parish Church. It stands as an icon for the town at the top of Market Street. Many will have visited when they were pupils at Hesketh Fletcher School, or attended a family Baptism, wedding or funeral. Many fondly remember singing in the choir or attending Sunday Schools or Walking Days. For 140 years it has been a focal part of the community and remains so today.
Sadly our heating system is on it's last legs. The boilers are over 40 years old and parts are now obsolete. The internal heaters are no longer able to keep our friends and visitors warm. Following professional advice we need to replace the whole system to ensure we can continue to provide for our community. We want to ensure that the Church is properly heated for the many community activities with which we are involved. These include:
- Distribution Centre for Atherton and Leigh Foodbank
- Open Coffee Morning
- Youth activities such as Brownies
- Community Concerts eg for the Atherton Business Partnership
- Charity events such as Astley Youth Band concerts
- Remembrance events with the Royal British Legion and Royal Naval Association
- Schools events including Christmas events, leavers' services, 'Experience' events
- Baptisms, weddings and funerals
A new heating system will also help to protect the building and its contents, and ensure it is there for future generations. Can you help? We have already earmarked the majority of the money we need. Together with a few applications that are being made, this will help us get over the line.