Vasari Singers is a London-based chamber choir directed by renowned choral conductor, Jeremy Backhouse. We sing both in London and around the country to enthusiastic acclaim from audiences and critics alike. The choir was founded in 1980 and in our nearly 40 years of existence we have particularly focussed on commissioning new and exciting choral music and on making recordings, which have been extremely well-received. We love what we do and we are grateful to our audience for making it possible for us!
So when we were looking for the best way to celebrate our 40th birthday next year we decided to combine two of passions - commissioning new music and recordings - and have planned a new recording of glorious choral music by living composers. Entitled Heaven full of stars, its centrepiece will be a new setting, commissioned by the choir, of Ave Maris Stella (Hail, Star of the Sea) from the acclaimed Latvian composer, Ēriks Ešenvalds. The list of pieces also includes heavenly starry music by other well-known contemporary composers including our patron and friend Gabriel Jackson - see full track list below.
Please spend a few minutes watching our film above to find out more about the project from our conductor Jeremy Backhouse and to hear some of our singers talk about what has made Vasari Singers special over the last four decades.
If our appeal is successful we will be making the recording this autumn with organist Martin Ford and Grammy-nominated producer Adrian Peacock. It will be released on the Naxos label in late summer 2020.
- Jonathan Dove - Seek him that maketh the seven stars
- Ēriks Ešenvalds - Stars
- Patrick Gowers - Viri Galilaei
- Ēriks Ešenvalds - O salutaris hostia
- Cecilia McDowall - Aurea luce
- Eric Whitacre - Lux aurumque
- Roxanna Panufnik - Deus est caritas
- Rihards Dubra - O crux ave
- Gabriel Jackson - Creator of the stars of night
- Ēriks Ešenvalds - Ave maris stella - Vasari Singers Commission, world premiere recording
- Will Todd - Christ is the morning-star
- Paul Mealor - Ave maris stella
- Judith Weir - Like to the falling of a star
- John Rutter - For the beauty of the earth
- Philip Stopford - Ave Maria
- Bob Chilcott - Salisbury Motets
Three years ago you - the amazing crowd on Crowdfunder - helped us to raise the funds to make a recording of the Rachmaninov All-night Vigil which turned out to be a great success. We were hugely grateful: in the 21st century media world there is no better, more rewarding and supportive way to raise funds to make such recordings. And so we are back to ask you for more of your extremely generous support to help us to make this worthwhile and beautiful new recording. We have come up with some fun and interesting rewards to encourage you to pledge. Do watch our video and consider supporting us - we will be tremendously grateful.