Fed up with not having a good quality general store and no options to shop consciously in Hackney Wick. We decided to be the change we want to see and open a store that creates a positive impact.
Shop Local, Shop Social
We are looking for support to help us open a Grocer, Butcher, Bottle Shop and Refill Store in our beautiful Hackney Wick! We want to create a Social Enterprise harking back to the traditional British store that is at the center of the community selling high quality British and local goods in a sustainable affordable way.
We will stock:
- Local producers! Championing mavericks who make brilliant, delicious British products and care about their impact on the world at the same time
- British seasonal produce with none of those pesky veggies in plastic that you see at the supermarkets
- An in-house butcher with meat sourced from the most caring of all the British farmers, supporting rare breeds and ethical farming - an alternative to industrialised supermarket meat
- Refill stations for your pantry, household, and personal cleaning requirements
- Local craft brewers and refillable wine
- Delicious cut to order British cheese and refillable milk from happy cows
- Deli, charcuterie and homemade ferments
- Not forgetting our vegan and veggie mates, we’ll have some awesome suppliers for you too
- Grab a bit of tucker to take away; salads, snacks and other delights
The name Tuck Shop was chosen as a nod to the general store back in more simpler times, when the grocer was the hub of the community and products came in bulk not packaged in plastic. We want to recreate the joy experienced as a child going to the school tuck shop, a few pounds clasped in hand, excited about what treats were going to be purchased.
Meet the Gang!
Jake, the butcher, baker but not a candle stick maker
With an unnatural love of grocery stores, Jake is passionate about bringing the best, highest quality, and most delicious products (personally guzzled, I mean tested, by himself) to the store. A butcher by trade, he wants to support farmers who deeply care for their animals and have people taste the difference in animals reared with love. Using his love of food, he's keen to chat about the best products around and help you create delicious dishes at home!
Sam, green thumbed business babe
She is bursting with enthusiasm to bring a simpler way of shopping to London. Growing up in rural Tasmania she remembers the simple joys of visiting the greengrocer with no plastic in sight and grinding her own peanut butter; she wants to bring these simple pleasures to the urban lifestyle in Hackney Wick. Diagnosed with celiac disease a decade ago, she is making sure we have a great selection for fellow gluten abstainers.
Harry, security guard and chief of canine relations
The cutest head of security around, unless you’re part of the squirrel gang, then look out!
What will the crowdfunding achieve?
By supporting the opening of this store, you can pat yourself on your back that you’re helping to build a greener, social and local economy. Well done you!
Also, add some bloody delicious food to the area – double win!
We have the money to secure the property but need help with the fit out and set up - this is where you come in. Crowdfunding will ensure we can open the store of our (and hopefully your) dreams!
Starting the shop without debt, means more affordable prices for the community! We want this shop to be accessible to everyone in the borough – sustainable, high quality food shouldn’t just be for the affluent.
A massive thank you to those legends who have already helped and donated money – Corona friendly elbow bumps all round.
Let’s do this!