Why we should care….
- Due to the coronavirus crisis, PPE will have cost Brunelcare in excess of half a million pounds by the end of 2020
- This essential spend has kept residents alive and the care workers safe, but it does hamper Brunelcare’s ability to deliver the important extras which make all the difference to residents
- With this Crowdfunder, we want to build a ring-fenced fund for activities and equipment which will maintain residents’ wellbeing
- Just £25 from each resident’s family would help us hit our target of £10,000... though if you share with others, maybe we can do even better!
- You can make a difference with the smallest donation. Let's show Brunelcare
carers that we care too!
Social Care was already running on a shoestring when the Pandemic struck. And we are all aware that care home staff have been the unsung heroes in this crisis.
Care staff have unconditionally supported those in their care: putting their health at risk, working long hours and sacrificing their freedoms outside work. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) has been key in protecting staff and residents - our loved ones - from contracting Covid-19, and suffering and dying from this terrible virus.
However, the shocking news is that Bristol-based charity Brunelcare will probably spend over £500,000 on vital PPE for their staff this current year.
As family members of residents at Brunelcare's homes, we want to support them whilst they keep our loved ones safe. With the future still uncertain, we are aware that this financial drain on Brunelcare’s resources could affect how much they have to spend on essential social activities in future.
We want to work with Brunelcare to create a fund, ring-fenced for activities and initiatives to support the wellbeing of both residents and staff looking after them, which could include:
- music sessions
- exercise classes
- art classes
- cookery sessions
- additional games and hobbies
- trips out (when safe to do so again).
It could also provide volunteer programmes, improvements to their environment (home and gardens), or indeed, ways of showing appreciation to the care staff.
Help us to raise £10,000, to start this ‘relatives trust fund’ to put essential funds back into the homes - and show we care too!
All donations large and small are welcome. Most importantly - please share with your friends and family - spread the word and help grow the fund. Use the share options below the video or copy and paste this link: www.crowdfunder.co.uk/theycarewecare
Brunelcare is a Bristol-based charity providing housing, care and support for older people and people living with dementia in the South West for nearly 80 years. Services are funded through local authority contracts and self-funding from residents and their families. They are not-for-profit, so any surplus is reinvested back into providing services.
Brunelcare looks after 334 residents suffering from dementia across their 5 care homes in Bristol and the South West. (Saffron Gardens, Deerhurst, Robinson House, Little Heath and Glastonbury.) The charity also looks after an additional 48 guests at their two reablement centres, (Little Heath Reablement and Orchard Grove). Caring for people who have been discharged from hospital, ensuring they are strong and confident enough to return home.