We set up The Daily Bread Café which is open two to three days a week for free refreshments including a hot meal and social interaction, the community are able to come and chat whilst eating and drinking together in a Covid safe environment.
Bags of food are available Monday - Saturday between 10am and 12pm. We are able to provide bags of Bread, Fruit, Vegetables, Cupboard Essentials as well as Fresh and Frozen produce. We do not ask for proof of income or benefits. We provide bags of food for approximately 60 families on a daily basis.
We have a team of volunteers (approx 160) that make daily collections from a variety of supermarkets and shops from the surrounding area. We also make regular collections from a Food Warehouse outside the area 3/4 times a week. All food collected is then sorted and bagged up and given out to the community. We also make deliveries to the vulnerable and those self-isolating. We are very happy that the Café was able to reopen after lockdown and we can even offer a sheltered outside space for those wishing to socialise not in the same household to be able to meet.
Our volunteers carry out a range of jobs:
1. Collections - we make collections at local and non local supermarkets every evening and some mornings.
2. Unloading & Packing - the collections are bought back to the hub and are unloaded from the cars and vans by the unloading team. The food is refrigerated or frozen and the shelves stacked.
3. Food Distribution - a team come in every morning to pack bags and distribute either at the food hub which is manned between 10am and 12pm Monday - Saturday or by making deliveries to those self isolating, shielding, the elderly and those unable to get to the hub.
4. Cafe - on Tuesdays and Fridays the Café is open for the community to come and have free refreshments and a hot meal. The Café team consists of cooks, those providing drinks and cakes, cleaning staff and volunteers that provide for some much needed social interaction and offer advice.
5. Advice - our volunteers are able to offer advice where needed but also have a number of external companies that we can advise our customers talk to, for instance CAB, Red Cross, Peabody. Due to the pandemic we are unable to have these external companies at the café as they are not working face to face but we hope to be able to invite them back at a later date.