A high-quality historically accurate WW1 short film about a Sikh Soldier.
The film aims to:
- increase awareness of the 130,000 Sikhs who fought in WW1, as well as the million other Indian soldiers that fought for the British Empire
- educate current and future generations about the heroic sacrifice the Sikhs and other soldiers made in the Great War
- increase representation in British war films by making a film that has a Sikh soldier as its lead character
DONATION UPDATE! - £7k donated from outside organisations
Outside of the crowdfunder the project team has raised £7k from three exciting organisations (who we will be revealing shortly). Giving the film's budget £10k in total!
But we still need to find £5k by the end of the month, so any money you can give to this groundbreaking project will bring us closer to making this film a reality!
Update made 19/10/2020
THE FILM'S STORY
A Sikh soldier fights through The Great War for the British Empire, only to survive and have to face a further hell back in India.
More than 130,000 Sikhs fought in WW1, forming 20% of the Indian Army, despite being just 2% of the Indian population.
Despite this huge contribution in WW1 for the British Empire, relatively few on-screen stories in Western cinema have been told of their heroic efforts.
We want to change that!
This is what the film could look like with your help!
We've already undertaken a promo shoot to develop the aesthetics of the film, the results are outstanding!
OUR HISTORICAL ADVISORS
We've made sure this film is as truthful, sensitive and accurate as possible.
We're worked for the last 10 months with world-renowned experts to make sure the film's story and message is as authentic as possible - they're now happy with the script and we're at the financing stage.
WHAT WILL THE DONATIONS DO?
Your donation will go towards making a groundbreaking short film that will set a precedent for telling unseen stories, but it will also support the next generation of filmmakers and support charities dedicated to the preservation of history.
1. Investing in a unique WW1 film
Sky and Joseph have been making award-winning films with Window Zebra Productions since 2018. The team loves to make films that tell unique stories - and The Sikh Soldier is a great example of that!
The film will also be a brilliant education tool to teach future generations about WW1.
2. The production design budget
For this round of our crowdfunder campaign we'll be raising for the film's production design, this includes:
- Building trench sets in a studio, which allows us to have a far higher level of cinematography, great production design and avoid shoots being ‘rained-off'
- Making period-accurate costumes for the film
- Doing the production “all under one roof” keeps costs down dramatically and increases value
- To use SFX (pyrotechnics, blank firing guns, explosions and smoke), making the film look incredible!
3. Making authentic music for the film
Jodie Grayer, our composer, will be creating a beautiful score in which she uses authentic Sikh instruments as well as collaborating with renowned Sikh musicians.
4. Part of your donation will also go to charity
5% of the money is going to charities, including the the National Sikh Heritage Centre & Holocaust Museum.
5. Make a film that will educate and truly represent history!
Please feel free to get in touch with us if you have any questions about the production - we really appreciate your support.
Should you decide to support us, financially or even just raising awareness through Social Media, please know that not only will you receive the rewards listed in the perks section, but also that you will be directly helping tell this untold true story.
For that, we are endlessly grateful and let's help show history together.