In an ideal world, textiles would be produced without harming the environment. Garment workers would be paid a fair, living wage. Transportation and caring for our clothes would have a low environmental impact – and clothes would be easily recycled or repurposed at the end of their life.
This would be a perfect circular economy.
It may feel like a pipe dream. Like a future we can’t easily imagine. But we believe that by making sustainable choices today, we can set the world up for that future.
Making sustainable choices can feel overwhelming. But The Good Stich is here to make it easy. We know that by making small changes, we can make this circular economy the height of fashion.
Who are we?
Founder Vicki is a theatre costume professional who has toured as a Wardrobe Manager, teaches sewing & costume skills & has made costumes for TV & theatre. She has first-hand experience of the waste involved in making clothes. And first-hand knowledge of how to minimise that waste.
Vicki is supported by Roger, her husband & co-founder. From a career in hospitality, he brings a wealth of business and customer service know-how to the table.
So, how can we empower you to tackle textile waste?
You don’t need gold-plated credentials to get going. We firmly believe that anyone can learn how to get handy with a needle. And make a difference while doing it.
We are launching The Good Stitch, a shop in Worthing for sustainable textiles & a community hub for inspiring change.
We’ll sell sustainable textiles
- Vicki uses her knowhow to curate a selection of fabrics, yarns & notions from sustainable, traceable sources
- Whether that’s deadstock from the fashion industry, discarded samples or remnants, or rescued vintage materials – looping made-for-profit fabrics back into the circular economy
We’ll empower you to ditch unnecessary waste for good
- Want to learn how to repair your clothes? Try our small-group classes, led by Vicki & guest tutors
- Not ready to invest in your own sewing machine? Rent one of ours & have Vicki on hand to help you out
- Already a pro with a needle but want to minimise waste? Join our zero-waste pattern workshop
- Want good quality sewing equipment and haberdashery? We stock the well made materials we believe in
- Got the creative buzz and want to chat to likeminded people? Join a social group in an evening club
What do we bring to our community?
- Supporting our community is really important to us. That’s why we’ve committed to helping achieve the goals of the Adur & Worthing Sustainability Framework
- You can raise funds for Worthing Community Chest by recycling your fabric scraps with us
- We practice what we preach. Everything in our shop will be recycled or repurposed. We’ll be a physical example of the circular economy where waste is just wasted potential
- We’ll feature a rolling, shopable exhibition of artists who use repurposed materials in their work
What have we done so far?
- Found a shop to rent - exact location to be announced when we sign the lease
- Collected second-hand furniture to refurbish into display furniture
- Found great suppliers
- Started building a website & social media accounts
- Setting up sustainability into the business from the start
What can you do now?
- Support this Crowdfunder to help us set up the shop. We’re offering some great rewards as a thank you for your support
- Support the shop by visiting us on Instagram & Facebook @TheGoodStitchGoring
- Visit our website & sign up to receive regular updates at www.thegoodstitch.co.uk
- You tell us! Bring us your bright ideas for tackling textile waste and we’ll bring them to life.
What we’ll do with the funds
Your support will help us to build The Good Stitch. We’ve come up with a range of rewards – no matter if you’re investing a fiver or £500.
This all-or-nothing campaign means we have to reach our £3000 goal or we won’t receive any of the funding.
When we hit £3k, we can lay that colourful floor & turn our pile of second hand furniture into brilliant shop storage. We can equip the teaching part of the shop with great quality sewing machines & an iron on a custom-built ironing table.
You can sponsor some of our new equipment, buy yourself a treat or adopt a carpet tile to be forever a part of our foundations.
We’ll be adding the names of all you Good Stitchers to our website as a special way to thank you for your support.
Check out all the rewards on the right.