A guide to local living that encourages people to lead more sustainable and ethical lifestyles and fosters community spirit in Leamington Spa, Coventry and Warwick Campus
We are a group of students involved in the Warwick branch of Student Hubs. Our idea is to educate students and local residents about the many ways they can live ethically, and provide them with information about what's going on locally to help them achieve this. This information will be presented in the form of an 'Ethical Guide' which will be available both in print and online. Similar guides have been produced by Oxford, Bristol and Cambridge. All money raised will go directly towards funding the printing of the Guide.
Making ethical decisions collectively can really shape the character of a community, set an example for others, and make a serious dent in the demand for unsustainable products and practices. But it is not widely known just how cheap and convenient this can be; indeed it can be hard to even know what choices to make. The Guide will provide all this information and more, and through its values will help to connect the residents of Leamington Spa and the 23000+ students at the University of Warwick.
Students of the University of Warwick set-up a cooperative selling local, organic and ethical food options on campus
- Encourage students to buy goods and services from local and sustainable suppliers.
- Inform students of opportunities to get invovled in their local area.
- Break down barriers between students and the Leamington community.
- Utilise student's power as consumers to stimulate demand for local goods and services.
- Change student attitudes and behaviour towards local social and environmental issues.
The allotment at the University of Warwick campus
- Eating out and grocery shopping
- Local groups, volunteering and social enterprise in the local area
- Services in the local area, such as those offering mental health support
- Information on career opportunities in the not-for-profit sector
- Reduce, reuse and recycle in the local area
- Saving water and energy consumption
- Days out in the local area
- Map of Leamington and Campus highlighting key locations listed in the Guide
Students of Warwick University collecting leftover food and crockery after campus residents move out, and redistributing it to local charities
Warwick Hub is transforming students’ involvement with social and environmental challenges in the area and around the world. We believe students have the power and potential to shape a better world. We connect up the charity and campaigning societies at Warwick to maximise the impact of student social action on campus: sharing knowledge, building partnerships and empowering more students to get involved and have an impact on the problems they see in the world.
Warwick Hub is a branch of Student Hubs, a national charity working across 10 Universities, inspiring, connecting and supporting students to take action on social and environmental issues in their local, national and international communities.
More information at www.warwickhub.org
If you are interested in sponsoring the Ethical Guide in exchange for advertising and recognition as a 'Founding Partner', please contact: