We are a Limited Company working on community projects.
There will be a 200-250 acre Edible Forest created at a 500 acre farm (provided our offer of £1m is accepted), & this will be situated next to a Zero Waste Vegan Eco-Village. The proposed edible forest will be managed by these 300-400 residents along with hundreds of other volunteers. The residents of the eco-village will also be running or involved in plant based businesses on the other 250+ acres of land. The whole project will be having its own TV Series.
Once the eco-village has established 50% of all business profits will go towards reforesting further agricultural land and the other 50% will be shared out among the residents who helped to build it.
We would like to create the World's Largest Edible Forest in South Wales (UK). In effect a 'natural museum' creating local jobs focusing on re-forestation, the promotion of recycling and sustainable waste management and creating a learning link to young people. This will also become a tourist attraction & providing additional protection to Welsh Heritage.
What is an 'Edible' Forest?
This will be just like the structure of a usual forest. Many acres of land made up of big trees, smaller trees, shrubs and smaller plants. The only difference is that this forest will be designed to include only edible plants that have or produce some sort of food value. A magical forest designed to work harmoniously to its environment and providing a huge range of benefits for everyone involved (Based on the efforts & books of Robert A. de J. Hart, Patrick Whitefield and Martin Crawford).
Our intention is to grow these forests from plant cuttings - mass expansion with low cost. We have many people helping us. Ian Sturrock from North Wales will be providing us with thousands of historic welsh apple tree graftings, Huw Richards Nursery are growing thousands of black currant cuttings, a 1.5 acre Edible Forest garden in England will be providing us with hundreds of plant varieties each year. We will also be buying thousands of plants from other suppliers.
What will we be growing?
We will be growing over 80 types of extremely rare Welsh Apple Tree varieties and many other rare Welsh plants. A variety of nuts & fruits suitable for the location (walnuts, hazelnuts, mulberries, apples, pears, apricots, plumbs, gooseberries, currants, raspberries, grape vines... & many more).
To begin we will create a commercial scale plant nursery to assist with foresting. After purchasing land we will be developing the site. We plan to take 2-3 years to plant The Edible Forest and start working on other plant based businesses at the farm. After this is up and running the future eco-village residents will start the 'One Planet Development' application for a 150 plot eco-village.
We plan to setup a "forest school" where local schools can visit once a week or month to take part in learning & developing forests - we have 3 people on board who currently run their own successful forest schools and these 3 people will be teaming together to create one project. There are additionally 20 other future residents of the eco village who are teachers or have an interest in the Forest School.
Our head-gardener also wanted to develop a 200 acre wild flower meadow but I suggest to him we should create a 200 acre Edible Flower Meadow at land just next to the proposed project.
Once the forest is established we will also be setting up 40+ small plant based businesses based at the the forest. One of the businesses will be a Historic Welsh Organic Cider Company.
The Project Benefits
- The reforestation will protect wildlife habitats, improve biodiversity and support the natural world
- Reforestation provides flood defences to local areas.
- It will also provide protection from pollution.
- The project will help build stronger communities.
- Preserving heritage & culture. Historic varieties of Welsh fruit trees & other food plants (a 'natural museum')
- It will make an environmental difference for all people around the World (becoming an example for others to replicate).
- We will provide educational learning and social involvement for local schools & people which will excite and inspire mainly children and young people to get involved in nature and taking action to make a difference.
- There will be greater local food security. We currently live on a small island with millions of people and 90% of our fruit & veg is imported.
- The project will encourage healthier and more active people and communities. Local people with affordable locally grown organic produce.
- Other ways we will also promote Welsh Culture (we will build historic welsh thatch roofed buildings for drying fruit - similar to St. Fagan's but with better use of internal space)
- We will eventually provide local jobs involved with teaching, gardening, and in harvesting, processing and selling dried/fresh fruit & nuts.
- This is a project that will benefit everyone and many more to come
- All members will receive a certificate for helping to support the development of the World's Largest Edible Forest.
- A tree/plant named after you and will be planted at the Edible Forest (once established there will be an interactive map showing you the exact position of the tree/plant you helped to support). If you send me your details I can invite you to plant it yourself. Or the map will be great for when you come visit!
- A membership card with your member number to use when purchasing organic products from us in the future (historic welsh cider, organic dried fruit, nuts, new type of plant milk product, 2 types of historic grains, - and there will be many more).
- Bronze Membership £20.00 - 10% discount
- Silver Membership £50.00 - 15% discount
- Gold Membership £100.00 - 20% discount
Once the project has been established the membership will close & we will then only offer membership to committed volunteers. Membership discounts will only apply once we have reached our funding goal.
- Bronze Volunteer Membership £20.00 & Volunteer 1 day per month - 15% discount
- Silver Volunteer Membership £20.00 & Volunteer 3 days per month - 25% discount
- Gold Volunteer Membership £20.00 & Volunteer 1 day per week - 40% discount
- Membership is a one time payment, no monthly or yearly renewal. It is just a way to genuinely show your support to the project.
- Only members (with friends or family) will be able to visit at certain days of the week, other days will be designated to the 'forest school'.
- Only members will be able to buy products from us. We will be focusing creating quality organic products with quite a long shelf life. Therefore, we have no need to supply others than the people who helped make this happen.
- We reserve the right to refund a membership & stop providing services.
- As a member you will be able to upgrade your membership at any time up until the moment the project becomes established.
- There will be an online shop on our website. We will send out messages letting everyone know what we have available and anything you buy you can either collect from us, from a local market or we will be able to post the products to you.
- ***Membership discounts will not apply to postage costs.***
- It will take 3 years from the moment we purchase the farm to start having some produce in the shop. Additional products will gradually appear within the following 3 years.
- We will not allow any member to purchase more than 5% of our total stock (per product) each year. This is to ensure that we have a supply available to other members.
- We will always provide you with the full discount of your membership provided it doesn't equal to an overall loss. If this is ever the case with a certain product, our expenses will have to be taken into account (cost of harvesting & packaging). And the product will be supplied to you at cost price.
- In the long run - if you do buy products from us in the future. You will benefit massively when comparing to you initial investment.
- Prices for each of our products will be based on the cheapest organic of the same type we can find for sale online. This will include any wholesale website prices.
- The Edible Forest (Farm) will not be open to the public. I have witnessed how Pick Your Own fruit farms get trashed and that is not what I would like to see happen here. Our job will be to create a product and make it available for you as a customer. Farmers do the exact same thing, they create produce and provide it to local shops. We will not be having 80 million people roaming around picking fruit. Members will be able to come and PYO on specific days of the week (& when in season).
The Project Benefits
1) The reforestation protects wildlife habitats, improves biodiversity and helps support the natural world
2) Provides flood defences to local areas.
3) Protection from pollution.
4) The project will help build stronger communities.
5) Preserving heritage & culture. Historic varieties of Welsh fruit trees & other food plants (a 'natural museum')
6) Making an environmental difference for all people around the World (becoming an example for others to replicate).
7) Providing educational learning and social involvement for local schools & people which will excite and inspire mainly children and young people to get involved in nature and taking action to make a difference.
8) Greater local food security. We currently live on a small island with millions of people and 90% of our fruit & veg is imported.
9) Encouraging healthier and more active people and communities. Local people with affordable locally grown organic produce.
10) Other ways we will also promote Welsh Culture (we will build historic welsh thatch roofed buildings for drying fruit - similar to St. Fagan's but with better use of internal space)
11) Providing local jobs involved with teaching, gardening, and in harvesting, processing and selling dried/fresh fruit & nuts.
12) This project will benefit everyone and many more to come.
Wade William Heames MIQ
Help make this happen!
Become a Member today.
Link to Blog Posts