The Art of Gaman was one of six plays short-listed for the prestigious Relentless Award, one of America’s most prestigious playwriting awards. Theatre503 and Helen Milne Productions will present the premiere performance in Autumn 2018, running 3-27 Oct.
Gaman 我慢 – ‘patience’, ‘perseverance’, ‘tolerance’, ‘self-denial’
Tomomi, a young Japanese woman stands at the hull of a ship staring out across the water to her new American life in the years before the Hiroshima bombing. There are stars in her eyes and a crackling radio pulled to her chest as she drifts towards a country, and a future, that resists her arrival.
The Art of Gaman is an aching exploration of displacement and loss of cultural identity when you find yourself in a country that considers you an enemy. When forgetting your past is shameful, but remembering brings even greater pain, Tomomi must harness the strength to find beauty in the struggle and carve out a new life for herself and be true to who she really is.
Theatre503 is co-producing The Art of Gaman with Helen Milne Productions.
Theatre503 is the home of new writers and a launchpad for the artists who bring their words to life. T503 are pioneers in supporting new writers and a champion of their role in the theatre ecology. The venue programmes 100 pieces of new writing per year, finding exceptional playwrights who will define the canon for the next generation. Learning and career development are at the core of their work.
Theatre503 believes that the most important element in a writer’s development is to see their work developed through to a full production on stage, performed to the highest professional standard in front of an audience.
To find out more about the venue click here
Theatre503 currently receives no regular core funding and fundraises for all its productions and their writing and creative development programmes throughout the year. Theatre503 is a registered charity.
HOW YOU CAN SUPPORT US
We greatly appreciated all your support. Any donation big or small will make a huge difference and is integral in bringing this work to the stage for the first time. If you are unable to make a donation, but do want to support us, then please shout about it by sharing a link to this page with friends and family on Facebook and Twitter.
Finally, please support in person by putting your bum on a seat! BOOK TICKETS HERE | Runs 3-27 Oct | £17/£15/£10 Previews
YOUR SUPPORT WILL:
So far Helen Milne Productions has raised 40% of its total production costs through private donations and trusts & foundations. We still have a long way to go and your support is vital for us to to reach our target. Donations will allow us to:
1. Hire a creative team of the highest calibre to bring the work to stage.
2. Provide focused marketing support to reach British East Asian and LGBTQ+ communities
3. Increase production value by incorporating stunning audio visuals into the work. To do this we need to hire a high spec projector for the run. They don't come cheap!
As well as directly supporting the costs of delivering the production to stage, your support will:
1. Mean that the creative team can deliver this exceptional new work that urgently needs to be told.
2. Provide a mouthpiece for the British East Asian and LGBTQ+ community.
3. Allow our hugely talented female-led creative team to deliver this highly ambitious production to the highest artistic standard.
4. Promote diversity in UK theatre by providing a talent development opportunity for British East Asian artists who are under-represented on our stages.
5. Provide an unparalleled opportunity for talent development for the artists involved.
Trailer credit: @omarbaroud