Reflect. Educate. Support. Empower. Critique. Transform.
Who we are:
The Anti-Racist Educators Network (TARENetwork) are a collaboration of passionate teachers, lecturers, researchers, parents and activists with expansive experience teaching in inner London, nationally and internationally. We have come together for one purpose - to support educators to eradicate racism in our education system.
We created a framework and action plan and a resources pack to support all levels of Educators in developing Anti-Racist pedagogy and school culture. The framework clearly identified the need for the change, breaking down three stages of actions focused on teacher bias, curriculum and resources and school policy. The response to our Action Plan was phenomenal and educational institutions across the country implemented many of the recommendations.
But creating the Action Plan framework was just the first step- there is still so much work to be done!
To address the inequalities highlighted during the Covid 19 crisis, we have been partnering with partner schools, providing staff training, resource auditing and support to embed Anti-Racist teaching practice and school procedures removing racism from the classroom on a permanent exclusion.
We are starting this Crowdfunder to allow us to continue to offer these services for free to nominated schools who would not be able to access them without financial support.
Why we do it:
In a society where:
- The absences, exclusions and misunderstandings of Britain’s global identity and the place of global majority people within this has encouraged a climate of “Far Right” ideologies and caused sharp rises in racial hate crimes - we must be honest and critical of the history curriculum
- All migrant and global majority children experience levels of prejudice and stereotyping in the education sector - we must address teacher bias.
- School environments inadvertently routinely reproduce racial meanings, social boundaries and inequalities on a daily level - we must review teaching and learning policies.
- Educational disadvantages contribute to various experiences of inequality, including access to further education, wealth, status, employment and life/health prospects - we must rectify this injustice.
- Black people are ‘40 times more likely’ to be stopped and searched in UK - we all need to learn to unlearn because our unchecked prejudice should not be someone else's burden.
TAREN aims to:
Develop and sustain the Schools Partnership and Mentor Project, ending systemic racism in education. This self-sustaining network of schools and education institutions will work collaboratively to promote, uphold and facilitate anti-racist education pedogogy and policy.
Support the TAREN project schools (LEA/ Cluster/ Academy Anti-Racist benchmark/support schools) spreading anti-racist good practice.
Train and provide workshops focusing on personal bias and reflective practice.
Review policies and provide resources that are reflective of diverse communities and inclusive of marginalised groups.
Support school leaders to meet diversity and inclusion requirements through training, resources and signposting.
We must educate future generations so that they do not become the racists of tomorrow.
Every classroom needs to be an Anti-Racist space where every child receives recognition, nurture and an equal chance!
We all have our part to play.
The TARENetwork continues to grow daily with nearly a thousand passionate Educators and activists in our community.
To keep moving forward and reaching more schools and colleges please donate to our Crowdfunder and support our continued work!
In love and solidarity,
Shez and Sarah Co-Founders of TARENetwork and Team TAREN