As a community café we aim to bring together people of all abilities, ages and backgrounds by providing a friendly environment (with affordable food and drink) for people to come together. We also provide groups, services and events that meet the needs of many vulnerable groups as well as the general community. Our aim is not only to support our community but to understand and support vulnerable and excluded individuals into either volunteering or paid work. We provide training and support, as well as expenses and take a holistic approach to tackle the root cause of any issues they may be facing.
Due to COVID-19 we were forced to close as a Community Cafe & Hub. However, we instantly adapted and continue to use the building to store and distribute food donations from the Fareshare scheme (Tesco) , Neighbourly (M&S) & Back of Store Sainsburys to vulnerable residents.
We support many local vulnerable residents including: * The elderly * Struggling families * Those with underlying mental & physical health issues * Isolated individuals * Women's refuge * Key workers *Care home staff and residents *Local Schools *Scratch *Food Banks
Our many costs include: * Transport costs * Staff wages * Food packaging & containers for distribution * Cleaning materials, dispensers, appropriate protective wear for staff & volunteers * Printing, admin costs & PR * Training & retraining for staff & volunteers returning to work * Utility costs * Volunteer expenses * Storage equipment *Stock control equipment *
Based in a well loved park, in the heart of our community, we are able to reach out to a wide range of people in all different circumstances. Our existing work, experience and location give us an awareness and understanding of the challenges and issues faced by individuals and families in our community.
At the moment we are running a restricted cafe service due to COVID-19 but the park continues to provide a calm yet envigorating space for people to spend time, with equipment for all ages including an upgraded outdoor gym facility, free tennis courts and a vast array of childrens play equipment. Our cafe aims to provide a safe, calm and friendly environment with comfortable seating areas. Our community room provides a space for our many groups and organisations to meet and provide the services our community benefits from on a daily basis when COVID restrictions are not in place.
There are many individuals in our location who are vulnerable or looking for general support to gain experience and get into the work place. We have the facilities and the set up to support these individuals in the best way we can, giving them meaningful involvement and putting their interests at the heart of our staffing strategy.
We strive to build strong bridges and community relationships to help address local social issues and behaviour. Some examples of the type of support we have given are:
* Deaf volunteer
* Disabled individuals
* Dyslexic staff
* Staff on the spectrum (ADHD, Austism)
* Staff suffering from Domestic Abuse
* Staff with alcohol or other abuse history
* Staff with limited qualifications or experience
* Individuals looking to get back into work after being out of work for a long period
* Staff with anxiety/ other mental health issues
* Staff with long term medical conditions
* Ex offenders
* Single parents
* English as second language
* Individuals with social workers and other professional support
The services we deliver are based on our ethos to create social, environmental and economic development. We provide flexible working where possible which we tailor to meet individuals needs and limitations. We strive to be a small organisation that achieves great things. We strive to create healthy relationships with both individuals and the wider community, strengthening relationships across the board and turning negatives into positives. Some of our usual services are:
* Gaining support from outside agencies and organisations to help individuals with specific needs
* Helping vulnerable adults into the work place
* Training existing vulnerable staff and volunteers
* Continuing to support existing vulnerable staff and volunteers
* Giving people the skills and capabilities to move forward
* Provide volunteering placements for individuals with mental or physical health problems
* Create and enduring and sustainable programme to support individuals
* Support for single parents
* Providing flexible working according to the needs and limitations of individuals
* Providing high quality training suitable to the individual
* Providing a safe and friendly environment to work in
* Provide holistic support to individuals and their families where appropriate
* Enable excluded and vulnerable individuals back into the work place
* Have a positive impact on people and the wider community
* Reduce loneliness and isolation
* Provide specific support for those at risk or facing specific times of crisis
* Providing free food donations to vulnerable individuals or those facing financial difficulty