Sterts is an unusual theatrical settings: a 400-seat amphitheatre set on the side of Bodmin Moor, in the open Cornish air yet protected from summer rain by a massive canopy. Since its’ foundation in 1982 Sterts has supported artists both professional & amateur. We provide a diverse programme of over 70 live theatre/music/dance events each summer at the centre in Upton Cross.
Sterts Theatre operates from early May through to late September. During the remainder of the year the Sterts Centre, Studio and café are underused. Our local area is made up of small villages and hamlets that are remote from the main towns and thus are very limited in terms of the services they are able to offer such as education courses, lifestyle courses or activities that encourage community cohesion. Sterts plans to use its facilities to fill this gap and provide much needed opportunities to our local rural population. In order to do this we will employ a Project Manager for 6 months to generate the activities and market the facilities that Sterts is able to offer. At the end of this period the post will have generated the income required to sustain the post into the future and to continue to develop and provide more services to meet local need.
The role will:
- Research and design the service model to utilise the Sterts Centre as a venue for a community service facility.
- Draft and submit appropriate bids to fund the service and projects that will operate within it.
- Market the service to attract both potential users/services.
- Manage the services to establish and maximise the use of the centre particularly in the months when the main theatre is dark.
- Design and manage a budget.
- Coordination and booking of facilities.
We very much hope you will support this really great opportunity to improve the lives of people in the remote communities of Bodmin Moor.