About STEM Socials
#STEMsocials conference aimed at empowering and enriching Students, a tool to connect students to the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) industry, inspire them and introduce them to a youth-centric world of innovation.
The content of the educational conference is deliberately designed to bridge the gap between youth culture and education, that’ll not only enable students to participate in activities that will connect them to the #STEMSocial experience, but will also unveil keys to progress and success via our elite guest talkers.
Key benefits for young people attending the STEM Social Conference:
- Experience case studies from current STEM employees
- Discover new trends in STEM
- Creative work process inspiration
- Career ways to get your foot onto the career ladder e.g. apprenticeships
- Discover, experiment and enjoy on-trend innovation
- Party with our DJ (Yes, at times during the conference)
Previous STEM Socials
We have hosted a STEM Social in Leicester and in Sierra leone. They were both a huge success. Our most recent conference took place in Sierra Leone, we had 3000 students, 100 teachers, 50 exhibitors and the Vice president was our keynote speaker, we had partnered with the Ministry of Education and The First Lady's office, here's the summary video:
Our Previous Elite Guest Talkers include:
- Dr Mohamed Juldeh Jalloh, The current Vice President of Sierra Leone since April 4, 2018. Jalloh is a political scientist, businessman and a former United Nations official
- Dr Simon Singh MBE, a popular author, whose books include Fermat’s Last Theorem and The Simpsons and Their Mathematical Secrets.
- Gordan Murrihead, a Pharmacist and has worked in the Pharmaceutical Industry for 28 years and is currently a Vice President at GSK
- Ruth Amos, an engineering entrepreneur, who started her career straight after her GCSEs.
We aim to host all the STEM Socials in unusual venues, like stadiums and warehouses. With the UK model we aim to host in halls and have a unique/ bold stage setup.
About The Founder
Jessica Okoro is an award winning business consultant. She previously studied Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Science at University, where she overcame struggles of learning using traditional teaching methods in class, to developing her own learning resources and using informal methods at home to achieving higher than what was expected of her in the final Science and Mathematics exams. Once she managed to get into university to study her degree, she then became very interested in the way STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) was introduced and taught in schools this was her motivation in starting BeScience STEM-an a multi-award winning organisation which gets the whole community engaged in STEM using innovative and creative techniques. Her charity has had over 700 volunteers and engaged with 10,000+ people in the community. Her work has been endorsed by the likes of the Prime Minister and enabled her to guest talk and share her ideas world-wide.
As well as managing the charity, she consultants for other organisations, shares her stories of #DyslexicApologies and encourages young people to be more bold and courageous in their daily doings.
With this crowd funder we are next planning to host several STEM Socials in London over the next academic year (2019/2020), five in total. Each social will have an audience of 1000+ young people, giveaways, a keynote speaker and panels.