The St Eval Community Land Project was first imagined in 2018 by three optimistic, green-fingered villagers. The vision was to enhance community spirit by creating a beautiful space which could be enjoyed by the whole community.
Fast forward 2.5 years and 'The Land' has become a beloved part of village life, offering serenity and happiness to all. The meadow project connects people with wildlife, and with one another.
It is a huge asset to the village of St Eval, providing volunteer opportunities a-plenty and reinforcing the incredible community spirit in our village.
This beautiful green space now grows year on year (literally and metaphorically) as friends old and new come to share this magically wild haven, gently tending to it and helping it to flourish.
Its legacy will be in the hands of the people who help to create it.
The Story So Far...
Along with the swathes of wildflowers which now appear every summer, we have installed beautiful wooden arches at each entrance, a bug hotel, created educational signage, art installations, a handmade clay pizza oven, bought picnic benches, bought a strimmer and (the jewel in the crown), installed a mile long hard aggregate path around the entire perimeter to make the meadow accessible to all.
We will consult with volunteers and community groups to discuss ways of sustaining the meadow.
To succeed, we need your help to move the project forwards so that it can fulfill its true potential.
St Eval's Wildlife
The parish of St Eval is a richly diverse habitat for all manner of critters. By creating and maintaining this wild and natural space, we are supporting the fragile ecosystems upon which these species depend.
From barn owls to bats, grass snakes to common lizards, brown hares, roe deer, rare butterflies, bumblebees, buzzards, yellowhammers, hedgehogs, foxes and many more... all of these wonderful creatures have been spotted right here in St Eval.
The Future is Bright
Whilst physical help, and hands that are willing to get muddy, are more important than ever, we also need financial help. We really hope that the community can really get behind this campaign.
Please enable us to continue creating your community meadow!
We feel that especially through these uncertain times, an outside community space is more important than ever.
However, many funding pots are running dry due to Covid-19, so we now need supporters like you to enable us to push this project forwards.
The Future is in Your Hands...
We aim to continue bringing people together, boosting biodiversity and championing wildlife.
Some of our future plans include:
- Install a hard permanent surface on the path (Tarmac or concrete) to protect it from wear-and-tear and to ensure its longevity
- An information/notice board to keep everyone informed about plans
- A mud kitchen/den corner
- Planting a mini orchard and tree belt
- Planting a rambling wild rose avenue
- Create a herb garden near the pizza oven
- A giant planted art installation made of tyres to form a focal point
- Bulb planting to provide colour in Spring
- Install a tap to ensure we can keep future planted areas watered and fed
- Acquire tools to enable volunteers to help us tend to the land
- A sensory area filled with scents and sounds
- Willow domes to create story corners
- More signage to educate and communicate
- Annual cutting of the meadow, maintaining the land and tidying areas
The list goes on... the funds do not! So we need your help.
THANK YOU FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN GIVE TO HELP YOUR COMMUNITY MEADOW GROW!!
Claire, Kelly, Nadine xxx
St Eval Community Land Project