iSpace is a community interest company based in Wakefield operating for the benefit of children aged 8+, teenagers and adults. Our team has a wealth of knowledge and experience of working with young people and families having worked for the local authority for many years however almost 4 years ago decided to set up iSpace to address the gap in preventative services.
Our aim is supporting young people, their families and communities to realise their ambitions and fulfil their potential. We deliver a wide range of interventions, developed and proven to reduce crime and ASB, alcohol and substance misuse, raise confidence, self-esteem and ensure young people know how to keep safe. We undertake work in a flexible manner providing a bespoke, service in a variety of settings such as; schools, home visits, local community venues and on an outreach basis interacting with young people who are NEET.
We have consulted with over 514 members of our local community who confirm that there is a lack of services offering emotional support in our area.
Of the 514, 450 said they would either access services themselves or encourage their child to attend. 503 thought there wasn't enough provision for young people in the area, particularly teens/young adults.
With this in mind this funding would be used to offer a range of services from our bases in Stanley and Peacock. Including:
• An open access drop in service – available for all members of the community to access support/advice.
• Young Firefighters Programmes- A high energy course using practical firefighting activities to develop and stretch their ability to work together & overcome challenges. Determination & emotional resilience are explored, promoted and celebrated. Young people also learn about the dangers of fire setting & prank calling.
• 1:1 emotional support - This is offered to young people and adults, they will be able to access 'counselling' style sessions around issues that they may face such as stress, anxiety, self-harm, family issues, domestic abuse, CSE and behavioural issues.
• Mindset/positive psychology courses – Courses available for 8-12 year old, 13-16 year olds and 17 year olds -adults. We have had excellent outcomes and results where the young people-adults have shown much more resilience/emotional regulation skills, plus more motivation and aspirations within education plus a new sense of self-confidence and self-esteem. These courses are particularly useful in effecting change in adults and enabling them to think in a different more productive way relating to employment.
• Youth clubs/workshops – ensuring young people have a safe place to go, being provided with diversionary activities such as sports/DJ skills etc to divert them away from risk taking behaviours.
• Natural skin care making workshops.
• Skills based qualifications
The focus will be on improving emotional well-being, building confidence and raising aspirations giving people a safe place to grow and learn.
You should vote for this project as iSpace is a unique organisation, that really helps communities and stands by its mission of supporting progress and aspirations in communities and education.
Here’s what our service users say about us:
“Both my boys were on the firefighter’s course, they absolutely loved it! They’ve both said how much they enjoyed the team work and being part of a group. It’s given them so much confidence which was shown in today’s parade! It’s absolutely fantastic that there are groups like this, I think anyone who has the opportunity to do it should grab it with both hands! FANTASTIC, they are very thankful for this opportunity. Thank you.” – Parent.
“iSpace have helped me to develop into a more balanced young adult and the volunteering opportunities they offered me helped me get into university. Without iSpace’s support I don’t think I would have been able to get through this year – they could benefit so many people in our communities"