Nene Valley Community Action (charity no. 1130024) is seeking funding to continue the School of Life project into 2019. As well as the Penpal Pledge explained below, the project also works within the community organising intergenerational activities. The School of Life is a project designed to bring all generations together, to swap skills, to share different experiences, or learn something new.
Please watch our video which was filmed recently to show how positive the Pen Pal Pledge can be. Almost 200,00 people have viewed this video on Facebook alone!!
So - what is the Pen Pal Pledge? Being a Pen Pal, is a tradition which has fallen out of date, in these days of texts, snap chat, and email.
Pen Pal letters and cards, were looked forward to, and created a bond between people, sometimes in different countries, sometimes who would never meet. This Pen Pal Pledge connects people of different generations locally within a community, who although they may live side by side, may well never meet, or know about each other.
What is the benefit to the school?
- The children learn, and appreciate more about older people in their community
- The children use their writing and communication skills
- Care home/day centre staff and residents can link in to school life
- The school develops a connection with the care home/day centre, which can lead to more projects and activities - talks/reminiscence/skill-swapping activities
What is the benefit to the care home/day centre?
- Residents can look forward to more interaction with local community, and feel more connected
- Schools can be encouraged to participate in activities which benefit the residents – visits relating to school projects
- Children/Young people may be interested to learn more about careers in older adult care
The penpals will meet at events arranged by NVCA!!