We need funds to employ expert witnesses to represent us at the appeal hearing to make sure the Amey Cespa appeal is unsuccessful. Doing so will also help support the complex legal defence that the county council is being forced to provide because the developer has appealed.
We are normal local residents who have formed a community campaign group representing the communities across the Fen Edge and residents across the city, including MPs, councillors, scientists, doctors, teachers and tax payers. We call ourselves CBWIN.
A planning appeal is expensive. We organised a fantastic report last year and raised funds to commission a professional independent landscape review, and MPs and councillors listened and acted.
Professional independent advice costs a lot.
The application for an incinerator was rejected in 2018 by Cambridgeshire County Council (on ground of severe harm to landscape and heritage) BUT the developers Amey Cespa are appealing so
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT AGAIN.
We need experts to speak at the appeal to ensure the appeal is unsuccessful and the county council decision is upheld, and truly innovative solutions to waste management are prioritised.
- The Waterbeach incinerator will be at Waterbeach, opposite the proposed New Town and schools on the A10, next door to ancient Denny Abbey, and only 3-4 miles away from schools in Cottenham. The huge furnaces will burn 24/7 for 35+ years.
- The chimney will tower to 80 metres – taller than Ely Cathedral which is 66 metres high.
- Particle emissions, dioxins and heavy metals from incinerators travel for miles and are believed to affect health. Incineration reduces recycling rates and contributes to climate change.
- To make it profitable, waste deliveries will come in from TEN counties as well as from Cambridgeshire, making our area a dumping ground. The A10 is already at capacity.
- This is NOT the right place for an incinerator, being so close to housing and schools.
- It is not the solution that scientists RECOMMEND for managing waste, creating energy from waste or protecting the climate.