Sanjay, a bilious man with a boring life accidentally intercepts an extraterrestrial message that will change his life forever.
Another boring sandwich and that same old radio station, that's the life of Sanjay. A recently widowed war veteran. But that's until aliens tap into his radio and threaten war on planet Earth. Realising that he is the only one standing between the aliens and the world, passion and bravery is reignited within him, just in time to save the day.
This fun, tongue in cheek film explores themes of loneliness in old age. Rarely has an older person come to the rescue! We believe that in normal circumstances, older generations with far more life experience would know exactly what to do in times of hardship. Take this and place it in a very outlandish situation and you have an authentic yet charming film.
Sanjay: With the passing of his wife a few years ago, Sanjay now lives by himself. He sees no need for the exciting things in life, because he has no one to share it with. And so, he has developed a routine that now consists of a few monotonous daily tasks. In his youth, Sanjay was an electrical engineer for the Indian army. It’s not until Sanjay is faced with this challenge, that he realises what he has sacrificed in the name of a safe and simple life.
The crew are largely made up of female filmmakers who met each other on the BFI Future Skills Traineeship, working on a major feature film together. We worked in different departments, from the assistant directors team through to accounts and the art department. With our combined knowledge and training, we are incredibly excited to make an entertaining and tastefully profound short film that not only delves into a rarely explored subject, but explores it in a uniquely entertaining way.
The main bulk of the money raised will go towards the filming and post production.
- RED: As the majority of the film is set in a park, we will need to pay the local council a fee to be able to film there. Along with this, filming on location requires several aspects to ensure the cast and crew are looked after. These include a portable loo, chairs, hi-vis jackets to lock off the filming area and power for the equipment. A company provides a production bus that has all of these assets in one, and this is where the rest of the location money will go.
- GREEN: In order to film safely and legitimately we will also require public liability insurance for the cast and crew.
- LIGHT BLUE: In the pie chart a large chunk is dedicated to post production. We understand how important sound is for the integrity of the film and therefore will dedicate a portion of the budget for post sound mixing and music.
- DARK BLUE: Thanks to our wonderful crew and through our friends we will be able to source a large portion of the equipment needed to make the film, however there are some pieces of equipment that we cannot source and will have to rent to achieve the 'look' of the film.
- ORANGE: There are two locations for the film - a park and Sanjay's house. For the interior scenes, the amazingly talented production designer will require a budget to buy the tools and props to dress the set. We will be able to source some of the set design, however other elements will need to be bought.