Green Candle Dance Company, Sagacity! Dance Festival
Green Candle Dance Company is one of the UK's leading community dance companies, known for providing original and high quality dance opportunties for both young and older people of all walks of life. We believe that everyone has the right to practice, learn, watch and appreciate dance, regardless of age or ability.
About Sagacity! Dance Festival:
Sagacity! is Green Candle Dance Company's annual festival celebrating older people dancing. This wonderfully vibrant event takes place in Bethnal Green and brings older people together from across London to share in the artistic and creative opportunity to dance. The annual festival includes one day devoted to an array of energising and uplifting open dance workshops and the second day is a platform for older people's dance groups and companies from around London to perform in the theatre at Oxford House.
'Great platform for dance for older people - a real joy for our group to be part of and share with other members of the dance community.' Performer, Sagacity! 2015
Sagacity! is the only annual dance festival for older people. Now in its fourth year, Sagacity! 2016 will take place on 29th and 30th July and will be a unique and inspiring occasion celebrating the joy of dancing and showcasing performances by many of London’s best and most creative older people’s dance groups.
'It was wonderful to see so many groups in one place ...and doing such diverse things. An enjoyable experience and a great advert for all the exciting projects for older people.' Audience member, Sagacity! 2015
We need your help to allow this special event to take place for the fourth year running. Last year more than a hundred dancers in 11 different groups were part of this event. Your contribution will enable us to empower, build confidence and inspire even more older people to connect through dance and performance.
'You hosted us so nicely - what a lovely opportunity to dance for an audience. I have never done so before. Thank you.' Performer, Sagacity! 2015
What we need:
This year we need £2,500 to ensure that we can provide the space, the teachers and the theatre to provide a platform for more than 100 older dancers to showcase their outstanding work and many more to take part in the events workshops.
We believe that everyone has the right to experience dance which is why we always provide the whole event free to performers, participants and audience. With your help we can keep it that way.
What are the benefits:
‘Thank you – a great day, challenging and enjoyable contemporary dance and the rigorous, gentle seated exercise session worked successfully every body part, especially the brain!' Workshop participant, Sagacity! 2015
Sagacity! 2016 will:
- Encourage artistic participation and creative exploration by older people
- Promote active healthier lifestyles for older people
- Empower older people by offering the opportunity for public performance and the confidence and validation that brings
- Attract newcomers to dance as an ideal activity for older people, with all its physical, mental, emotional and social benefits
- Widen knowledge and appreciation of a variety of dance styles and cultures
- Showcase performances by London’s most dynamic older people’s dance groups, raising the profile of dance for older people
- Promote the work of two high quality arts providers in the Tower Hamlets community: Green Candle - a leader and innovator of dance for older people and Oxford House - an accessible and age-friendly building for work with older people