HELP US KICK START OUR MOBILE COFFEE VAN TO CREATE SPACES OF CONNECTION, PROMOTE WELLBEING AND COMBAT ISOLATION AND LONELINESS.
It's been quite the year for everyone thanks to Covid-19 ... one I'm sure none of us will forget in a hurry! A year of isolation and lockdowns is not going to be without its long-term knock-on effects. Surveys have found the global pandemic to have had adverse effects on mental health (1). Mental health charities have reported increased use of their helplines (2). We've all been affected, many of us have faced bereavement, loneliness, loss of social support (3). Rolling Coffee is a venture that wants to change the narrative. But we can't do it without your support, if you believe in our idea please consider donating to help us get up and running!
Our goal is to create spaces of connection centred around good coffee and hospitality. A relaxed atmosphere, friendly faces and volunteers always ready for conversation. Our plan is to kit out a van into a mobile cafe and pop up all around the UK. More than just a coffee shop, in the outdoor spaces where we serve good coffee we also intend to promote the '5 ways to wellbeing' (4).
Connect. In our spaces, we will have conversation tables, where you can meet someone new, have a conversation and connect with someone.
Be Active. Popping up in parks and recreational areas, we invite and encourage you to grab a coffee and take a stroll with a friend.
Take Notice. Stop for a moment, sit at a table, take a deep breath and enjoy a coffee whilst taking notice of your surroundings. Opportunities to join our daily scheduled 15-minute mindfulness session at our take notice table.
Learn. Engage in some creativity and maybe even learn a thing or to in our pop up creative spaces with our in house artists and creatives.
Give. Participate in social and community life by visiting us and hanging out with us and becoming part of our project helping to combat isolation.
We believe we can make a real impact in our communities, providing spaces of connection, promoting aspects of wellbeing and intentionally engaging with those vulnerable to loneliness. Would you partner with us? Every penny donated brings us closer to this vision becoming a reality.
Our Christian ethos of valuing every individual, loving others as we love ourselves and loving creation is at the core of all we do. Because of this we are committed to:
- The highest standards of ethics and sustainability possible in all our operations.
- Seeing the person behind every cup of coffee and serving them with the highest standard of customer care.
- Having team members always available for conversations, interactions and making connections with those vulnerable to loneliness.
1. Appleby, L., Richards, N., Ibrahim, S., Turnbull, P., Rodway, C., & Kapur, N. (2021). Suicide in England in the COVID-19 Pandemic: Early Figures from Real Time Surveillance. Available at SSRN 3781695.
2. Samaritans. Coronavirus and people with pre-existing mental health conditions. 2020. Available from: https://www.samaritans.org/about-samaritans/research-policy/understanding-our-callers-during-COVID-19-pandemic/coronavirus-and-people-pre-existing-mental-health-conditions/
3. Gunnell, D., Appleby, L., Arensman, E., Hawton, K., John, A., Kapur, N., ... & Yip, P. S. (2020). Suicide risk and prevention during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Lancet Psychiatry, 7(6), 468-471.
4. Mind (2021). https://www.mind.org.uk/workplace/mental-health-at-work/taking-care-of-yourself/five-ways-to-wellbeing/