The Priory School is a Special Educational Needs Secondary School in Spalding Lincolnshire. We strive to provide our pupils we educational opportunities that not only meet their physical and social needs but also their interests and ambitions. In this vein, we are keen to acquire a used car on which our pupils can practice their newly acquired skills in mechanics and engineering providing them with hands-on experience to help them move into further education or employment. The overall goal of this project is getting the car back to MOT standard and selling it on for profit which will allow the school to run the project the following year.
By undertaking this project with our pupils we can offer a variety of opportunities and experiences including:
- Practical Learning opportunity – Many pupils, at the Priory School, excel in a learning environment which is practical.
- Functional learning opportunity – Many of the skills taught within this module are skills for life. Skills involve checking tyre tread depth, changing a wheel and checking and filling oil.
- Links with other vocational courses – Many young people, who study at the Priory School, aspire to transition onto a course involving motor mechanics. The car maintenance module is a perfect starting point for this learning journey and links onto the entry-level motor mechanic course pupils access on their college links placement at Boston College.
- Qualification outcomes – Evidence can be collected which can be submitted as a module for a Career Education qualification.
- Extra-curricular activities – opportunity to run a lunchtime or after school club.
- Bespoke curriculum opportunities - some pupils at the Priory School struggle to meet the requirements of formal timetable within the school. Such a learning resource will allow us to provide extended learning opportunities in an area they find interesting.
One of our partner schools (Woodlands Academy, Spilsby) has just completed their first project in which their pupils restored a Reliant SS1 and sold it on for profit. The new owner is now set to drive it along the North Coast 500 having driven it 360miles to get it home from Lincolnshire.
We hope to copy this success. We simply need your donations no matter how small. Any money raised not used to purchase a vehicle will be used to gain parts needed for the car’s restoration.
So please give what you can and share this page with everyone you can.
From everyone at the Priory School,
Thank you for your support.