SYRCOX is a charity work based in Oxfordshire, is to transform the futures of the disadvantaged vulnerable and inspire them to engage with community work. Our objective is to improve the quality of life for people in the community by providing high-quality, effective mental health and well-being activities.
We aim to provide facilities & support for families living in Oxfordshire to help relieve need, hardship & distress. We are creating opportunities for adults and young people to collectively come together, learn, play, & gain support in a safe & welcoming environment.
SYRCOX is coming from the heart of the community who is knowing the community needs. It attracts a high proportion of isolated, hard to reach communities due to our flexibility, creativity & responsive approach. We encouraged individuals to join in the volunteering effort to support others who are more vulnerable.
The projects will improve the quality of life for people in the community by providing high-quality, effective mental health and well-being activities. It will give people a safe space to rebuild their confidence to go out and meet people safely and provide COVID-safe physical activities (with social distancing), which will enhance people’s health and well-being and improve their immune systems. It will build community cohesion and help some isolated individuals build links with others in the community.
The Project activities:
The project will be holding a variety of regular activities will be operated weekly.
The activities will be :
- Physical Activity:
- It will provide COVID-safe physical activities, which will enhance people’s health and well-being and improve their immune systems, such as sports sessions and hiking. It is every Wednesday from 9pm to 11 pm for the sports activities, which will run football sessions for people aged 13 and above.
- Hiking will occasionally be one session a month from April to September. The hiking duration will be 3 hours per session. It will be for families, walking in the main walking areas in the county helps to learn about the environment and how to protect it.
- Young people activities:
This project will be operating once every week. It will gather young people from different backgrounds and help them build a kind of understanding and respect for their beliefs, which leads to gaining acceptance and a comprehensive understanding of others’ needs. All of that, by providing a mix of activities from different cultures, besides gaining life skills. The power of cultural activities will develop children’s social, emotional and imaginative skills, helping them reach their full potential. It will be operate every Saturday from 10am till 3pm. It will be for ages 6 up to 16. Various activities will be provided to build life skills besides delivering a mix of activities from different cultures.
- Ladies activities:
privet activities will be held to support ladies by providing comprehensive activities with protecting their privacy. So they can have the opportunity to engage with others and build their friendships. It will be once a month which means 20 sessions. It will run various activities like dancing, Zomba, and social gathering will be provided.
*These three projects will be adapted to meet meet social distancing guideline, Where:
- The indoor activities will be operated in the half capacity of the room or hall.
- Online sessions will be in place in case of any lockdown to keep our participants in the loop and active.
- Outdoor activities will be operated generally by asking people to walk in bubbles or small groups.
The project outcome
This project will create opportunities for families, adults and young people to collectively come together, learn, play, & gain support in a safe & welcoming environment, which includes:
• promotes space for reducing isolation & loneliness
• Positive developmental activities, leading to better attachment, social, physical & emotional attributes & skills.
• Nutritious foods, families eating together & with peers, social interaction, a sense of connectedness, belonging & community
• Increased Mental Health & well-being.
• Improved access to support structures within the organisation & beyond
These three projects come from the community needs, where many people keep asking us to deliver regular activities to support their well-being and keep the community cohesion. Many people gave us ideas what the activities they wanted us to provide. Our committee management gathered these ideas and transformed them to deliver this project which meets the community needs.
We will gather qualitative and quantitative feedback from participants and staff at the beginning, during, and end of the project to measure how developing new skills and knowledge, positive changes in attitudes and behaviours, and discovering new and deepening existing relationships.
We would also pilot storytelling methodology to evaluate the project, letting participants identify outcomes by telling us a story. What changed for them? How did it happen? Why is it important? This makes the process useful & enjoyable.
These projects will be led and supervised by SYRCOX team. SYRCOX team have 6 years of working and supporting the community. We have provided facilities & support for families living in the city of Oxford & its surrounding areas to help relieve need, hardship & distress.