With your help, we can continue to develop and achieve our core goal: to make theatre for all, by all.
In response to current movements and discussions about diversity and inclusion, we want to make sure that our fundraising efforts reflect our core goal to advance and amplify voices to plug gaps in the theatre industry. With this in mind, we have launched our pledge for your pledge:
More detail about how we are putting this pledge in to action can be found below.
We are Plug It Productions, a theatre company led by Creative Producer Leigh Spence. Our mission to make theatre for all, by all. To achieve our goal, we make sure that creative people- with ideas, talent, and skills- are matched with the resources and support that they need to facilitate their work. We also produce shows, ranging from exciting adaptations or rediscoveries of existing work, to brand new creations from people that we feel are the ones to watch right now.
Leigh has been working freelance since 2018 and graduated Mountview Academy of Theatre Arts with a distinction Masters in Creative Producing. Her work has included Not Quite Jerusalem (Finborough Theatre), Loneliness and Other Adventures (Drayton Arms Theatre), Face to Face (Stockwell Playhouse) and lots of other projects in London and Exeter.
Inclusivity is essential to us and is at the root of our collaborations, planning and output. We endeavour to work with people from across all walks of life because theatre is, at its best, relevant to human experience. To appeal to people is to provide something that feels real, even if the content on the surface is completely wacky! This only comes from work that is representative, diverse, accessible, and made by varied voices.
Our debut show Hello, My Name is Jac was due to perform at the OSO Arts Centre in May 2020, Like all UK Theatre, this was cancelled due to Covid19. You can watch our interview with writer, Robert Burton-Moore, about the process of writing and the goals for the show below, or find it here: bit.ly/HMNIJInsight.
[Interview with Robert Burton-Moore]
We are still working on the project remotely and are in discussions with venues to bring the show to life very soon. We look forward to mounting the show, an exciting piece centred on a diverse group of characters, when we can safely. Your donations will directly contribute to the progress of this work.
Plug It Productions want to protect and support those working in theatre. By providing advice and opportunities, we can give emerging and established creatives the opportunity to network, develop and receive resources that help them to progress. By putting on our own productions, we provide a platform to share work, engage audiences and offer valuable employment.
We need your help right now to maintain our active involvement in the theatre industry and keep us live. Securing funding is always challenging, and as these unprecedented times have hit, there is even more competition than usual for vital donations to theatre.
Creating online performance, digital resources, opportunities for creatives and audience as well as preparing for the future IS possible right now. We can only do this with your support. Here are just some areas that your contribution will go towards:
- Fair pay for artists (actors, creatives, freelancers) involved with our future productions and current digital content. Artists should no have to offer their time freely for work that deserves pay. You can help us move towards a more sustainable working environment.
- Securing industry professionals for The Live Wire series- our online platform highlighting career roles and work practices that ‘plug-it’.
- Improved accessibility, including BSL interpretation, captioning/subtitles, and audio description for our future work.
- The development of partnerships that can help us achieve our missions, such as our ambition to work alongside Mousetrap Theatre Projects and the Black Ticket Initiative.
- Providing free, available resources to those aspiring to a career in theatre, or in the emerging stage of their work.
- The creation of content for marketing productions, opportunities, and information sharing and the distribution of this to wider audiences.
- Launching initiatives that we have planned, such as competitions and commissions which require funds to run and be successful.
- Developing and rescheduling our first shows post-lockdown, including Hello, My Name is Jac.
- Expanding networking and training for our team and our audiences.
- Engaging with organisations who can help us source real tools to maintain inclusivity as a focus of our output.
Without you, this work would not be possible. You are making theatre happen that is accessible, diverse, inclusive, and engaging. We are incredibly grateful and very proud to have you on board. To thank you, there are even a few rewards which you can have a look through on this page.
While theatres remain closed and gatherings in public are not permitted, you can still get a theatrical fix with Plug It Productions!
[Stephen Smith Speaking on The Live Wire]
The Live Wire is our online series across social platforms where we share stories and experiences, information about careers and opportunities, as well as shedding a light on best practice and how things can go wrong sometimes. To stay up to date, follow us on social media.
We are also hosting live events and snippets of the shows we are working on. You can check out this fantastic online show, written in lockdown featuring characters from Hello, My Name is Jac: bit.ly/MissionLockdown
If you want to donate to support our work, please press the button to support us here on this Crowdfunder. All donations will be greatly appreciated and our pledge for your pledge means that you can be certain your help will go directly to theatre for all, by all.
We are always keen to answer any questions you may have about our company and our work. You can reach us at [email protected] If you are interested in investing in our future productions, or in Hello, My Name is Jac, we are accepting enquiries to the same address.
Plug it Productions is a Registered company. Company number: 12418148