Donate to this charity
Established in 1890* and registered with The Charities Commission and the Almshouse Association, The Parochial Charities exist to provide accommodation for “persons resident in the area of the Parish of Great Shelford . . . at low rents according to their means.”
The charity owns 32 homes – on More’s Meadow in the village. Purpose built - this development of one, two and three bedroom properties was opened in 1996 by Betty Boothroyd, Speaker of the House of Commons from 1992 to 2000.
We are currently in the process of building a further 21 homes on our land, bringing to 53 the total number of high quality, affordable almshouse units managed by the Charity.
We also own some 7 acres of land on the edge of village, adjacent to the More’s Meadow almshouses. Some of this is given over to allotments which are rented out to local people. The remainder comprises both woodland and grassland, with footpaths and benches for public use. We remain in need of funds to support this build, and gratefully receive donations towards the green space. We have already planted over 250 trees.
The Charities also provide grants to individuals in need and make donations in support of local organisations and good causes.