Ever wanted to say 'I named that rum'?
Hello, welcome to our crowdfunding page and our campaign to find a new name.
After finding out that we could not use our current brand name, 'Silk Road' anymore due to a conflicting EU trademark. We've decided to flip what could have been a bad situation into one that we think is pretty exciting. So we're opening the floor and we'd love your help to find a new name.
If you’re new to crowdfunding, this is a Rewards-Based Campaign. This means that in exchange for your support, you get rewards (rum, obviously). And every person that supports this campaign will get a chance to suggest a new name for our brand.
At the end of it all, we will choose our favourite from the names suggested and that will become our new name that we will paint the town red with.
Who are we if we don't have a name?
We launched back in November 2019 as 'Silk Road Spiced Rum', inspired by our travels cycling the world on a tandem and a passion for white rum, we set out to bring some love and life back to the white rum shelf. Premium white rum is too good to be drowned out by Coke and it's about time it found a new partner.
That's why we set out to create a new perfect pairing, Rum and Tonic.
Mixing a subtle, drier tonic with our vapour infused rum, creates a drink that brings a smile to everyone's faces and is as refreshing from the first sip to the last.
Our Actions are Our Stories
Our journey has taken us on a wild route so far, from working with in bars and seeing the rum drinkers flock to gin, to sitting on the back of a tandem cycling the world plotting how to bring rum back to life. It's safe to say we haven't chosen the normal path, and sharing with you the chance to be part of our history is no different.
As the first rum designed to be mixed with tonic, we're proud to be different and we want a name to reflect that. Our heritage lies in adventure, pursuits of the un-ordinary and celebrations of the eccentric, can you find a name to reflect that?
In the Press
How it will work
Follow these 5 simple steps to help us find a new brand name:
1. Select the reward you would like (all rewards get 1 name suggestion!)
2. Once you've chosen your reward we'll send you an email with a form to submit your brand name idea and an invite to our Funders Club, where we'll be posting all the names for everyone to see!
3. We'll choose our favourite name that best represents us and the rum
4. We will work to create new branding that best reflects our new name, we'll share these in the Funders Club for you to critique.
5. We will re-launch our newly named and branded rum and you'll receive your rewards!
To say thank you to all our backers, we will be taking out an outdoor advert with everyone's names on. We'll let you know where it is so you can pay a homage and we'll get a copy of it put up in our offices.
We'll also be putting on a party at a central London location to re-launch the brand, and you are all invited. DJs, R&Ts and good times. (The date for this will be whenever it is safe to do so)
We're not big on rules, but these 3 should help narrow down your search:
1. It should be 4 syllables or less
2. The name should work across many languages and not cause offence.
3. It can't be Rummy McRumFace.
What if I suggest the winning name?
Oh I bet you were all thinking this?! Well, we wouldn't want to let you down. So the person/people that suggest the winning name will receive a years worth of rum each (12 Bottles) as well as ultimate bragging rights, who else can say 'I named that rum'.
Here are brands we really like:
And here's a pinterest board of branding we love!
Spread the word
Let's find the best name we can, who knows, your neighbour might be a naming genius.
- Please share this campaign with anyone you know
- If you can, post on your work whatsapp and get your boss involved (office party + mixologist +150 cocktails ????)
- If you know any journalists or influencers, please let us know!
Thank you all and we hope you stay healthy.
George and the Team