Donate to this charity
Total raised so far £3,097
+ est. £632.50
Grounds and facility improvements to make the club accessible to all, more environmentally friendly and sustainable
The benefits of sport to an individual’s health and wellbeing are huge and it is local community based sports clubs which are ideal locations for people to get the most out of or be introduced to sport.
Langside Sports Club (LSC) very much has this ethos at the heart of its purpose and vision – to bring inclusive local sports and activities to people of all ages and abilities.
LSC is a charity positioned in the heart of Newlands, Langside, Battlefield and Cathcart and is accessible by public transport, cycle and on foot.
It is a community asset nestled within the beautiful and peaceful grounds of Albert Park which provides facilities and services for multiple sports and activities.
However, to make sure the club can be accessible to everyone in the community and reduce its impact on the environment, LSC needs support to raise funds to complete some critical improvement works to reach its potential.
How it all began
LSC successfully acquired the asset of Albert Park from the Weir Engineering Group in 2022 and is now in community ownership. It is run by a small and dedicated voluntary board of trustees who look after its governance and all aspects of running the club as a charity. The club has approximately 350 members from all parts of the surrounding community and within our 20 minute neighbourhood, who participate in tennis, bowling, and cricket. Other activities such as football, pilates, yoga, Gaelic playgroup, archery and fitness are also available and enjoyed by the wider community. LSC has its own BIO (Be Involved Outdoors) group who helps look after the grounds and nurtures the wonderful range of biodiversity at our site.
The Board has been partially successful in securing funds from several sources to undertake improvements to the grounds and buildings. They have already installed path lighting, automatic gates for disabled and car user access, a new bar and kitchen facilities, an accessible door at the clubhouse, redeveloped the main space in the pavilion along with its toilets and showering facilities, amongst others.
The club needs to make more vital improvements so that it can provide better facilities for existing membership and user groups, as well as attract new members from across all our surrounding communities – including all ages and abilities or personal situations. The club wants to support the diverse community surrounding it. However, some of this funding needs to be match funded and the club is seeking your support to raise this through our Crowdfunder.
Making our facilities accessible, inclusive and sustainable
The club aims to provide a more environmentally friendly, energy efficient and inclusive facility. The following works have been identified to help progress this vision:
- New windows and shutters in the pavilion to improve energy efficiency levels;
- New heating system in the clubhouse to improve energy efficiency levels;
- Accessible toilet to provide amenities for physically disabled members and patrons;
- New LED tennis court lighting to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions;
- New cricket practice net facility to grow our club and provide better training and coaching opportunities for players of all abilities within our community
This is where you come in
LSC has already secured £62k of funding for the work and we need another £20k to help complete the work. The club needs financial contributions from our members and wider community to help make this happen by December 2023.
LSC is offering a number of rewards for particular contributions:
- A contribution/donation option - either anonymous or contributors/donors publicised through our internal communications
- £100 – name on a shared plaque in the clubhouse for supporting our fundraising
- £150 – name on a shared plaque in the clubhouse and a 6 month individual membership gift to a young person U18 who couldn’t normally join and includes a block of group coaching sessions (normal membership application process applies)
- £250 – name on a shared plaque in the clubhouse and 3 individual coaching lessons (subject to availability)
- £500 – name on a shared plaque in the clubhouse and 6 months advertising in the clubs internal communications reaching all members
- £1,000 – name on a shared plaque in the clubhouse and 2 annual individual memberships for all the sports on offer (bowls and cricket played seasonally / normal membership application process applies)
- £2,000 – name on a shared plaque in the clubhouse and a corporate sports day for up to 10 employees – may include access to play our 3 main sports, biodiversity learning session and lunch (April-Sept)
Every pound raised through this Crowdfunder will help LSC realise its ambition to be a modern, inclusive and sustainable club serving the community. A huge thank you for all your support!