The Feeding Folkestone team in partnership with Custom Food Lab, is hoping to launch a Community Fridge for residents in Folkestone and Hythe. This is an initiative which seeks to support local people to access food, particularly those who are vulnerable and may struggle to do so otherwise during the current cost of living crisis.
The Community Fridge will be situated in a central and accessible location (TBC shortly-watch this space for news!) It will receive donations from local supermarkets and individuals. Members of the community will be able to access the fridge during allocated opening hours.
It will be led by a Project Coordinator who will recruit volunteers, with the view that the fridge will be a community project, run by local people who volunteer their time.
The Community Fridge is administered by Custom Food Lab on behalf of the Feeding Folkestone network. The project already has local support from Councillors and shop owners, as well as food banks and community members, and now we just need some help to make it come to life! All food donated goes on to make a huge difference to the people accessing it, and also to saving waste from landfill. There is no other initiative offering this locally and we would be grateful to access funds to allow us to do so.
Information on what the grant would be spent on *
We are seeking funds to support the following- if we were able to exceed our total, we would look to have two different sites)
- Buying the fridge (and hopefully a freezer too, and some shelves for dry goods!) These are commercial units, with glass doors which stop people opening and closing the fridge to see inside, therefore saving energy.
- Funding a Project coordinator to oversee the project and recruit volunteers, who will eventually lead the project.
- A marketing budget to cover the cost of signs and promotional materials
- Cleaning products
- Training in Food Hygiene for volunteers
- Funds to cover volunteer expenses (petrol for collecting donations, or other related costs)
- The cost of public liability insurance