"Climate Extinction Double Bill. What's it all about?"
We are presenting two plays addressing issues of Climate Destruction, Gasping by Ben Elton and the UK premiere of Australian Playwright Ian Meadow’s Between Two Waves in repertory at The Space, Isle of Dogs from 22nd October to 16th November.
“Sounds cool! Tell me more about the plays...”
Gasping is a sharp-witted satire on the ludicrous, dangerous endgame of commodification, Ben Elton (Upstart Crow, Blackadder, The Young Ones) pushes the logic of capitalism through to its ridiculous and alarming conclusion. Gaspingwas first presented in 1990 at the Theatre Royal Haymarket, and is a whirl of innuendo, an exuberant mockery of yuppie culture and a scintillating parody of corporate greed.
Between Two Waves, in its UK premiere, is a beautiful and poignant piece that centres on a climatologist who is in the midst of a mental breakdown, given what he knows, should he bring a child into the world? But is it based on his bleak outlook at the future or haunting events from the past?
"They sound awesome. Who's behind all this?"
Rising Tides is an arts charity formed of experienced and emerging artists, with the aim to contribute to wider artistic engagement with climate change. We aim to advance the understanding of climate change through the delivery of new professional theatre productions and theatre events for the benefit of the public. We also work with Educational and Corporate partners, delivering workshops that explore, and inform on, a variety of topics, from Food Waste, Climate Migration, Plastic Pollution, Fast Fashion, and Working Together Sustainably, using drama exercises and techniques.
We were honoured this year when Mark Rylance became our patron.
Our first project was a takeover at HighTide Festival. We were delighted to present four exciting pieces of new writing (Two Fish, and Fracture by Steve Casey, Limpets by Jonnie Bayfield, Fridge! by Polly Churchill) and an immersive multi-media experience (Think Tank, devised by Chris Lawson & Paul Webster).
Most recently, we hosted Letters to The Earth with The Space, Isle of Dogs, performing and discussing letters contributed by poets, citizens, playwrights and politicians, from all over the globe, connecting to the Climate Emergency.
"Ok I'm in. How can I help?"
Firstly - thank you! With your help we are going to create not one, but TWO plays
It's an ambitious project with an equally ambitious target...
We need to raise £2,000.
Your donation will assist us in-
• Providing employment for our super talented team of actors, artists and creatives
• Sourcing set to help us create the worlds of our plays - Corporate offices, squash courts, and a house damaged by flooding! Challenge. Accepted.
• Having space at the Space! This includes rehearsals, technical time and four weeks of performances!
• Digital marketing! With your help we can pay for online advertising which will reach thousands of people very quickly, making sure we spread the word far and wide about the show, as well as helping with our sustainable ethos by reducing the amount of printing needed to promote the show.
• So, check out our lovely offers and see what takes your fancy. £5, £40, £100. Whatever you are able to afford, we can guarantee you that your support will go a very long way.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and your support,
Neil, Gavin and the Rising Tides team!
Risks and challenges
We have a proven track record of producing high quality, accessible theatre, with extensive experience marketing these productions to a diverse audience and managing large scale budgets.
What's most important to us is raising the funds to pay our incredible team of actors and creatives, and the only risk is that we might fall short.
We have the team, we have the theatre, we have the plays. Now we just need you.