Buzz Power is a family business built on a passion for beekeeping and a love of outdoor sports.
Buzz Power was launched in January 2021 by retiree beekeeper Tony Rand. The idea came from his son Ed, a keen marathon runner and cyclist, who complained that conventional energy gels left him with nausea, IBS-like symptoms and tasted, for the most part, pretty horrible. He called them a 'necessary evil' to help power his races and runs.
One of the most effective forms of sports carbohydrate
Tony knew that honey was one of the finest sources of natural carbohydrate and had been used for thousands of years as a delicious energy source. Studies at the University of Memphis Exercise and Sports Nutrition Laboratory confirm that honey is one of the most effective forms of carbohydrate to eat just before exercise.
Further studies have discovered that as a sporting fuel, honey performs on a par with glucose (the sugar in most commercial energy gels).
Yet other 'honey fuels' on the market had a token nod to honey at best, and - even if they did contain small amounts of real honey - used commercially processed honey, which is over-heated and therefore loses most of it's inherent health characteristics.
After two years of working with sports nutritionists and researching the awesome potential of a natural unpasteurised honey energy fuel, Buzz Power Original was launched on social media, and quickly Instagram and Facebook was 'buzzing' with people using our product.
We always knew Buzz Power would be a fantastic natural alternative to conventional energy gels and would taste delicious but we didn't realise how many people we'd help.
Our customers include marathon runners, cyclists, professional triathletes, hikers, rugby players, and many other sports enthusiasts who are looking for natural energy sources that are actively healthy and taste great.
Low GI and antioxidant rich
Made from 98% sustainably-sourced, organic raw honey, Buzz Power retains all the incredible benefits of raw honey (it's low GI, and contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, antibacterial properties - not to mention vitamins, proteins and amino acids), has fast mouth-to-muscle absorption, and is easy to digest.
Plus a natural blend of glucose for a fast energy boost and fructose giving a steady follow-on carbohydrate release.
Diabetes & IBS friendly
Thanks to the feedback from our social community and customers, we discovered that Buzz Power is an incredible alternative energy source for people traditionally underserved by the sports fuel market, such as people living with diabetes or who have digestive disorders such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome or Crohn's Disease. We are particularly proud that we've had an incredible response from para-athletes who enjoy Buzz Power for its stable (but powerful) natural energy boost.
- To provide a natural honey-based sports nutrition for all sportspeople, including those with diabetes, IBS, Crohn's Disease, and para-athletes
- To raise awareness of the importance of good nutrition, from natural sources, to help power our rides and races
- To promote sustainable beekeeping and awareness of the recognition of natural, unprocessed honey versus commercially farmed (and sterilised) honey products
- To raise awareness of conservation and good use of our outdoors spaces as we use them for recreation
What our customers think
We have sold thousands of sachets over the past year and many of our customers come back time and again because they prefer Buzz Power to conventional energy gels. We have fantastic customer reviews on our website buzz-power.co.uk and over one thousand followers on Instagram @buzzpowerenergy. Buzz Power has been used to power our customers through many of the world's toughest challenges, including the infamous Marathon des Sables.
Help power our future
1. Our customers repeatedly ask for new flavours and new ways to enjoy Buzz Power, and this is something we'd love to be able to research and produce with the money we raise from crowdfunding.
2. The sports nutrition market is dominated by large corporations who can easily muscle smaller companies out of the digital space. We need help to promote our product and take it from a small family run business to the pocket of every sportsperson who wants to enjoy Buzz Power.
3. Lastly, it's important to us to ensure that our packaging and product is as environmentally friendly as possible, and that takes quite a bit of money to do! Our goal is to have a full range of eco-positive, honey energy products that promote nutrition and positive attitudes to inclusivity and sports for all people.
What we'd like to give you
Our mission is to bring honey sports energy products to the market that are genuinely sustainably-sourced from organic beekeepers by an organic beekeeper! However, we do need help in developing new products, ensuring our environmental values are met, and to keep researching new ideas and markets.
Any amount, big or small will be gratefully received. To say a very humble thank you to you for supporting us we'd like to offer in return for:
up to £10 - a Buzz Power sports buff
£20 - a Buzz Power buff and a jar of our Suffolk-made local honey* (where this all started!)
£40 - a Buzz Power buff, two jars of our Suffolk-made local honey* (where this all started!), and a 15% discount for Buzz Power for 6 months
over £100 - a Buzz Power buff, two jars of our Suffolk-made local honey (where this all started!), and a 15% discount for Buzz Power for life
(*Unfortunately, we can only offer our jars of honey to residents of the UK because, you know, Brexit.)
Find out more about Buzz Power