We’re so excited to be starting a ground-breaking research project this month, and it could have a major impact on the replacement of animal testing. We want to make sure all animals have a voice. That’s why, at XCellR8, our incredible scientists do things differently, to help make a change.
More than 80,000 animals are currently used every year in acute toxicity testing in the EU alone, using the outdated “LD50” type methods even though they’ve been widely discredited. Chemicals are assessed for short term toxic effects by force feeding high doses until scientists find the dose that is lethal to 50% of the animals. Not only is this ethically unacceptable, it’s bad science too, with very little relevance to humans.
At XCellR8, we’re determined to play our part in finding a scientifically and ethically advanced solution by developing a cell culture based test that’s much more relevant to our real-life exposure to chemicals - using ethically donated human cells. But we need your help! The amazing grant we’ve received from Innovate UK funds 70% of the project, but we have to fund the remaining 30% ourselves.
Our first crowd funder is looking to achieve £5,000 to help reach the first milestone of the project, growing the human cells in completely animal-free (“vegan”) culture and establishing the test conditions.
Can you help us on our mission to replace animal testing once and for all? We’ll be providing regular updates throughout the project via our social media and blog!
For more information about our exciting Acute Toxicity project, read here.
Why support us?
- Save innocent animals' lives - it's our mission to accelerate the world to 100% animal-free testing.
- Animal-free testing methods are much more reliable - accurately predicting results with much more relevance to humans.
- Be a part of something bigger - supporting innovative research that will change the future.
XCellR8: Our Story
XCellR8 was born from a passion for science and a lifelong dream to protect animals
Our Founder, Dr Carol Treasure, grew up with a love of animals dating back to childhood nature-watching trips. As a young research scientist in the 1980s, she became convinced there had to be a better way than animal testing – not just ethically, but scientifically too. Both animals and humans needed, and deserved, something better.
Several decades later, there’s been a lot of progress. It’s now widely accepted that animal tests simply don’t reflect what happens in our human bodies in everyday life. Exciting scientific advancements now mean that a better way is not only available, but it’s filled with amazing possibilities. We can now create and test products that are safer than ever for humans and our planet, without the need for animal testing.
Our Founders have contributed to that scientific journey for more than 30 years and we can’t wait to see what’s possible in the decades to come!
Want to do even more to support us?
- Share our Crowdfunder far and wide!
- Follow us on social media.
- Check our website for all the latest animal-free testing news.
From all of us here at XCellR8, thank you for joining us on this exciting journey!