Oncology Veterinary fees

To raise funds for Glen's oncology review in just over two weeks. Please read his story

by Smiley Sussex Spaniel - Glen in Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, Scotland

£180

raised of £1,200 target

4

supporters
15% 20 days left
This project is using Flexible funding and will receive all pledges made by November 9th 2018 at 1:22pm

Glen came to us after the death of his owner, a close family friend, 5 years ago. We found quite a few lumps on Glen and took him to our local animal hospital for specialist assessment. Glen was found to have mast cell tumours and was scheduled for surgery to have these removed.  Glen had an absolutely horrendous time under the care of the Oncology unit there, much of which i can't discuss at the current time.  What I will say is that it involved an inexperieced surgeon removing half of the biggest tumour that Glen had without following proper protocol for such surgery, then just closing the wound. I can't pursue legal routes about the way Glen was treated due to affordability and  the decision I made was to use everything I had to help Glen.  Glen spent three weeks in the hospital after that surgery as there were problems with wound healing, which, we later found out after we sought a second opinion, was due to cancer cells being spread from the tumour to the healthy tissue around the wound.  Glen then had to go for daily wound dressings after discharge for over a month and had to attend there as an after hours consultation as the treatment room had to be sterilised for him and staff gloved and gowned as whilst in the hospital he contracted the human equivalent of MRSA.  I actually photographed the treatment room as on two occasions it hadn't been sterilised and there was other dog hair lying in clumps on the foor.  Glen on one occasion was taken to the treatment room for bandage change and i heard what i knew was a howl from Glen. An hour later the two vets that were treating him came out and explained that they had cut glen whilst removing his bandage and that he had required to have several stitches in a wound on his back . On closer questioning they had cut him with a stanley knife they were using instead of scissors (for quickness) whilst trying to cut his bandage off. I took Glen to an out of area animal hospital to a surgeon we had had dealings with years before and co-incidentally had a special interest in mast cells.  She was appalled at the surgery that had been carried out as Glen still had stiches after several failed revisions of the wound. She described his wound as just skin pulled together any old way which left an open, raised cone shaped hole at the top of the surgery site. The surgeon in the out of area hospital offerred to operate again, remove the whole tumour and skin graft to give the wound a better chance of healing. The surgery was successful and after several weeks Glen then went on to start the prescribed sessions of chemotherapy at our local animal hospital.  On his second session I got a call to say that there had been an accident but it had been picked up quickly. Apparently some of the chemo drug had leaked out of the vein and the upshot of that was a further lengthy hospital stay with the prognosis of possible death or amputation of the leg involved. Fortunately Glen recovered well and was discharged to the care of the out of area vet school at our request.  Since then (five years) Glen has been on A tablet form of chemotherapy, a drug called masivet. From starting his treatment at the out of area hospital we have gone from fortnightly visits, to monthly, then three monthly and now five years later we are down to six monthly.  I have self funded all of this myself and can provide vets bill receipts to prove this. These are not normal vets fees, these actually total many thousands of pounds and the follow up appointments that involve a day at the hospital for bloods, scans etc are between £1100 and £1200.  Glen had to go to our local vet between visits to the hospital this month for an additional scan and for bloods and that was a further £850 which was the funds I had saved towards  his 6 monthly assessment in just over two weeks.  My reason for asking if I can try crowfunding via yourselves is because we are due to travel for our next appointment at the out of region hospital on the 31st of October and due to the additional vets fees this month I won't have enough time to find funds to cover the cost of this consultation and if he isn't seen at the six month mark then his treatment will be stopped.  I've self funded this for so long (5 years with absolutely no regrets) and I just don't want to basically let Glen down at the last hurdle so to speak but I can't find any other options to try to raise the funds required in time.  Is it possible to try crowfunding and ask for other sussex owners help.  It may be of interest to know that Glen is the longest surviving dog with this type of cancer and as such there is no literature available as to what happens now that is why follow up checks are so important for him.  Thanks for taking the time to read this.  Cath & Glen x

Let's make 'Oncology Veterinary fees' happen

Support Us