Pregnancy and the birth of a tiny bundle should be one of the most exciting times in anyone's life. However a cancer diagnosis during this time shatters the excitement and replaces it with anxiety, distress, mixed emotions and huge uncertainty.
Mummy's Star is the only charity in the UK that supports women diagnosed with cancer during pregnancy, birth, baby loss and beyond.
Our mission is to support these women and their families and reduce their feelings of isolation and anxiety, enable them to make informed choice and to raise awareness of the financial, logistical, and psychological challenges they may face.
How do we manage this?
1. Facilitating an online forum for mums where they feel safe to ask questions, share their anxieties and offer support to one another.
2. Offering personalised one to one support for every mum through video calls, emails, texts, and face to face meetings by trained Information and Support Workers
3. Providing a ‘one stop shop’ for advice on cancer diagnosis in pregnancy including links to localised services and signposting to other organisations who can help
4. Advocacy on behalf of the families to ensure informed choices throughout treatment
5. Small grants (£500 limit) to help families pay for any additional costs
6. Providing awareness sessions to health professionals and student midwives
The COVID factor...
Covid-19 has added another complication and concern for women already going through an incredibly stressful and upsetting time. We have seen an unprecedented demand for support and all at a time when we cannot see anyone face to face. So we have adapted and have used more video calls, offered virtual meet ups and the online forum for mums has seen a surge in activity.
Our big concern is the decrease in cancer diagnoses during this period and we are expecting to see a 20% increase in women coming forward to us in Autumn. We now need to raise the funds to ensure we can be here for anyone who needs us, whenever they need us for this year, next year and beyond.
Funds raised through our Crowd funding page will be used to ensure we can offer increased levels of virtual and online support for mums during this difficult and uncertain period.