Shine’s vision is to see every young teenage girl believe that she is valuable, has skills and talents to offer, understands her ability to make good choices and discovers the unique beauty in herself and others unencumbered by societies preconceptions
Why a Shine health and wellbeing day for teenage girls?
- There has been a significant increase in mental health conditions in young people as well as obesity and self-harm
- The number of young people attending A&E due to psychiatric conditions has doubled
- CAMHS turns away up to a quarter of young people referred to them
- Girls are resorting to unhealthy life choices to try and live up to unattainable body images portrayed in social media. Trying to achieve the impossible leads to feelings of failure and inadequacy which strips girls of confidence in their own skills and abilities and prevents them from reaching their full potential.
We are inviting 25 girls from every secondary school in Poole, Bournemouth and Christchurch as well as girls who are not in mainstream school. The girls are between the ages of 12-15 and we anticipate that 400 girls will attend on the day.
We're excited to have been able to hire The Ballroom at The Pavilion Theatre in Bournemouth. The girls will be able to attend workshops and view the exhibition in the main Ballroom and there will be a quieter reflective space in another room where girls will have a chance to experience some mindfulness techniques and be offered a pampering therapy.
The Health and Wellbeing event includes the following:
- Exhibition – local charities and organisations that are relevant to teenage girls will be at the event to share the service they offer that supports at least one of the 5 steps to wellbeing. All exhibitors are providing some sort of fun activity to engage the girls on the day. Organisations include Dorset Mind, AIM Community, Pavilion Dance, BH Live, Bournemouth YMCA, National Citizen Service, Bournemouth and Poole Youth services, YADAS, Army Cadets, RespectED and Girls Guides. We are thrilled that each of our exhibitors is putting time and energy into providing a really fun and informative activity for the girls including quizzes, food tasting, reflective spaces, interactive music and bath bomb making.
- Workshops encouraging the girls to look after themselves mentally and physically. Workshops include a drama class by BHLive, dance by Pavilion Dance, a skincare demonstration, music by AIM Community, mindfulness techniques and food tasting.
Our hope is that the girls will leave this event inspired, encouraged and uplifted with a greater ability to look after their emotional, physical and mental health.
Most of all we want the girls to be happy and know that they Shine from the inside out.