The local election campaign in Solihull has begun.
This year we have some of the most inspiring candidates ever. With your help, we can get all 3 elected and take our total to 14 councillors on Solihull Council.
Solihull Green Party are the formal opposition on Solihull Council, despite only having our first councillor in 2008. That hasn’t been by accident. It’s taken hard work, ingenuity, but also funds.
Solihull has a big Conservative majority, but we’re shifting the balance of power.
Having one Green in the room makes a real difference. Having 14 makes an even bigger difference. 3 more councillors will help us to drive a more inclusive way of doing politics, as well as protecting our environment and local people.
So far we’ve:
- Brought action on period poverty
- Challenged Conservative plans that would threaten local High Streets
- Protected high value greenbelt
- Brought about an Air Quality Strategy
- Forced action on single use plastics
- Helped establish community organisations.
As proud as we are of our achievement, we know that we can do much, much more. We don’t have wealthy corporate donors to finance our campaigns, unlike some other parties. We’re truly grassroots, so to make change possible we have to work together. Even small donations help us to reach more voters, letting them know that there is an alternative.
Our candidates are...
- 3 decades working in the charity sector in International Development, Gender Equality, Refugees, and Climate Change
- Has been covered by The Guardian, spoken at the United Nations, met the Archbishop of Canterbury and had her work recognised with an MBE
- Was Chaplain at Birmingham University
“It’s time for a new chapter in my life. I want to contribute more to my local community. I’m confident my skills and experience can really help people in Shirley, as well as the Green party”.
- 1stClass Degree in Mathematics from Trinity College, Cambridge as well as PhD in Theoretical Computer Science from Manchester
- Was one of the first professional female MMA fighters, covered by GMTV and Daily Mail (glowingly too)
- Is now a practicing Osteopath, putting people back together
“Whatever I put my mind to, I want to do my best. I want to put that drive and determination towards helping Shirley. I put people back together for a living, but there are bigger things that need putting back together in our community”
- Worked as IT Project Manager, for both private sector and government
- Now runs the Osteopathy with Rosi
- Makes films and music as well as being a keen rock climber
“I reached that point with politics where I thought ‘right, I need to get involved’. I’m glad that Solihull Greens have taken me under their wing and given me the opportunity to channel my skills and enthusiasm”.
The Target - £800
Your donation could help us to deliver the most professional campaign we’ve ever run. To hit our target, we only need:
80 people to donate £10
40 people to donate £20
16 people to donate £50
8 people to donate £100