We love the concept of crowd funding – it gives people the opportunity to invest in things they believe in during a time when banks are being ever more cautious about lending and really helps small businesses like ourselves to grow.
Our journey to self-employment began on a summer break to France in 2012 to visit mother in law Christine who took me to her local quilting group where I was introduced to The Crafty Rebels of Maelcarhaix and became hooked. On my return to the South Yorkshire I struggled to find good quality fabric, and most importantly classes that would welcome the complete beginner. The rest as they say is history!
We opened our first shop in Mapplewell, Barnsley 2013 which we ran successfully for over 2 years but quickly realised we had outgrown the lovely shop, hence our move to Wombwell. Once our lease at Mapplewell was due for renewal we realised how difficult it had become running the 2 shops, so we sadly closed it to concentrate on the Wombwell shop.
As an independent Retail and Haberdashery business we have had thousands of people through our doors, sold 1000's of metres of fabric, offered hundreds of a wide variety of workshops and classes, drank gallons of tea/coffee and scoffed our way through lots of cake and The Bolthole lunches, but most importantly we have built ourselves a community. We understand the therapeutic and social benefits of crafting and the joy it brings to many. We have laughed a lot, cried together and shared sometimes sad times but most importantly loads of good times.
Most importantly many many many real lasting friendships have been created from Christmas get together's, trips to America and other Quilt Shows too!
We have always offered a home from home welcome and to us our customers mean everything, this includes anyone who has visited the Cafe, for family get together's, Baby Showers, Psychic evenings, Christmas/Birthday celebrations and more...Oh we are doggy lovers too, see the picture of Gary and Lily who have been regulars to the Cafe since we opened.
Our lovely in-house tutors Rosemary, Jane and Alison share their knowledge and passion and this has inspired many of our customers on their own quilting/sewing or crafting journey. We have also had some fabulous Guest Tutors too such as Stuart Hilliard, Jenny Rayment, Janet Clare, Trudi Wood,Katy Jones, Helen Barnes and Helen Moyes, plus many others!
What is the Money For?
As an expanding business we hope to become a premier online and destination store. Our new conservatory is almost complete and the Cafe ladies, Angie, Lynn and Jan will be moving into it as soon as possible and they have lots of new ideas to share with everyone.
We have been serving customers for over 6 years and we are told constantly that we are more than a shop and a community hub, as one of our customers said “From small acorns big oaks grow” Having invested our own money over the years to constantly upgrade the shop, despite it being a rented building we would like support to improve it even more as a service to you. Our aim is for the shop/Cafe to become a destination where others share knowledge, skills, experiences and meet new friends and we would love you all to be part of this journey with us.
We're looking for your donation to help us create and even bigger retail space, improve our classroom area with cutting and ironing stations and most of all Bev and I would love to have new flooring and shelves throughout. Since we opened in 2015 we have constantly upgraded the building but Jeff being a tight Yorkshire man would not agree to laminate flooring due to the size of the area, and the shelves have been moved around several times!
Rewards for your Support
We feel that everyone who decides to pledge should receive something in return for their help. For this reason, we've created a list of crafting superhero rewards below.
- Your name will be added to a wall hanging permanently displayed in our new shop space
- You will receive a personal thank you on a dedicated page on our website.
- Pledges of £20 and over will receive all of the above along with a 'Oh Sew Sweet Special Shopping Thank You Bag' (see individual reward amounts for full details) along with a generous Oh Sew Sweet Gift Vouchers of up to 50% of the value of your pledge, redeemable online or in-store.
- Pledges of £150 or more will receive all of the above as well as unique gifts and offers such as Fabric Bundles. (see individual reward amounts for full details).
- Should anyone be generous enough to pledge more than £500, as well as all of the above we would provide you with a 3 hour workshop of your choice with Vintage-Tea for up-to 6 people.
- For those who would just like to help us without receiving a reward (a big thank you in advance!) then choose the reward option 'WITHOUT REWARD'.
How You Can Help
- Pledge to our campaign, and get one of our exclusive Crowdfunder rewards.
- Share this campaign with five of your friends who would be interested in what we're doing
You can find out more about us by visiting our website www.ohsewsweetshop.co.uk. You can follow us on facebook or visit us on instagram
When we look back at how far we have come we cannot thank our loyal customers old and new enough, with out you all we simply not be as successful as we are. We would love your support for this campaign and thank you from the bottom of our hearts in advance.