Wrong. While it's long been known dangerous levels of nitrogen dioxide (NO2) pollution exist in Central London, new research by Camden Green Party shows the problem is more widespread than you might think. Specifically, of 44 sites tested by Camden Green Party:
Air pollution is a menace that, according to scientists at King's College London, leads to:
- 80% had NO2 levels above EU legal limits
- All had NO2 levels above the safe levels recommended by the World Health Organisation
- Many backstreets and residential areas showed dangerous results - something that has not been shown before.
- 6,000 premature deaths in London every year
- An average of 17 months shorter life expectancy for Londoners in affected areas.
By donating today you will help us:
In turn this will support the work of Camden Green Party Councillor and London Mayoral candidate Sian Berry to force Camden Council to take action on air pollution. Sian has recently proposed an additional level on diesel vehicles - the main source of NO2 pollution - in Camden. If elected Mayor, Sian will also act immediately to reduce the problem, for example by expanding London's proposed Ultra Low Emission Zone to include all of Camden, raising the congestion charge, and reducing public transport fares.
Click here for a map showing the results of Camden Green Party's air pollution monitoring in Kentish Town, Highgate and Gospel Oak.
- Produce and distribute leaflets to alert 10,000 households to their local air pollution problem.
- Host public events to build momentum for our air pollution campaign.
**Please ensure you are on the electoral register - this is a requirement of donating to a political party. And you'll need to be on it to vote next year - register here if you're not.***If you pledge £500 or over, you must be willing to provide your contact details and address.*