ABOUT LILAC TREE
Hi, I'm Leila, the metalsmith behind Lilac Tree!
I started designing jewellery in 2014, and what began as a hobby has grown to become my passion. I launched Lilac Tree in 2017, and today I create each piece by hand, using recycled sterling silver, fair-trade gold, and ethically-sourced semi-precious stones. My designs are deeply rooted in nature, and celebrate the strength of femininity.
THE STORY SO FAR
I discovered my passion for working with metal in my early-30s, so a little later on in life than most - but better late than never! That said, my mum recently reminded me of my first ever jewellery collection, circa 1988...
Check out that sweet ginger tan!
After a hiatus between 1988 and... ahem... 2014, I passed by a quirky, independent jewellery shop and decided to take their one-day introduction to silversmithing class. The second I put blade to metal, I was hooked! Over the past few years, I've continued to learn new skills, mostly through youtube, but also through the occasional one day course to learn specialised techniques like stone-setting. But by and large, I just practice hard to make to what I love!
In 2017 I started to sell my jewellery online at www.lilactreemakes.co.uk, and directly to customers at craft markets across London. It's scary to put yourself out there, especially without the backing of any formal jewellery qualifications. But over the past few years I have grown in confidence, and love the instant feedback I get from customers! Here's a photo of me at my favourite market in Richmond last summer, in the middle of the heatwave!
Outfit on brand!
Every penny that I make goes straight back into my little business, whether that's paying for pitch fees, buying materials, or investing in new tools. Til now, I've been entirely self-funded.
2019 is the year I take Lilac Tree to the next level! But to do that, I really need your help.
I'm looking to set up my own workshop space in Chiswick, which is closer to home than my current rental space. This will allow me to work on my jewellery more often than I'm able to at the moment, and develop the collections that I've been working on so far:
(1) CELESTIA: Hand-hammered sterling silver orbits jaw-dropping stones that evoke the beauty of the night sky
(2) FRIDA X PABLO: Hammered sterling silver earrings, inspired by Frida Kahlo's very own pair of earrings which were gifted to her by Pablo Picasso
(3) CRYSTALLIS: Inspired by the natural forms of raw semi-precious stones
As a largely self-taught and entirely self-funded jeweller, your pledges will be invaluable to me. This is how I intend to use your money:
- £1,000 on 6 months workspace rental in Dukes Meadow, Chiswick, a wonderful creative space that's close to home.
- £2,000 on the essential tools I'll need to get me started in my new workspace. This includes things like a propane tank for soldering and annealing metal, a chair for my bench, and a lamp so I can work at any time of day or night!
- £1,000 on recycled sterling silver, fair-trade gold and the ethical semi-precious stones that are the raw ingredients of my three collections!
If you would like a further breakdown of how I will use my funding, please drop me a line and I'll be happy to provide you with the details.
If you've made it this far, thank you so much for reading! Please know that I fully appreciate every penny you pledge to me, and it will be put to good use in my little jewellery business.