Lidofest2021 will be the UK's first festival at a Lido.
It's a fun filled festival celebrating the wonderfulness of Lidos and the joys of swimming! The vison is to roll it out to Lidos across the UK in 2022 and in 2023 take it international to NYC where there are 52 open water pools!
“It is ‘impossible’ for children to learn to swim without being in the water. It is particularly important with the holidays, with young kids running round at pools or the seaside”
Duncan Goodhew, President, Swimathon Foundation
- 95% of Black adults and 80% of Black children do not swim
- 1 in 4 children leave primary school unable to swim
- According to the WHO the risk of drowning is higher among 'minority ethnic' communities
In response to some of these shocking statistics and the lack of swimming lessons for children over the last 18 months plus the long waiting lists to even get lessons, we introduce this event to engage and encourage the local community to come and give swimming a go… We are passionate about swimming for life and this event is about community & inclusivity.
We are seeking crowdfunding to enable us to;
1. Give a series of free 'swimsafe, swimconfident' lessons to chidren throughout Lidofest and at spin off events.
2. Donate 5% of our profites to the 'Black Swimming Association'. This charity aims to increase the number of adults and children from African, Caribbean, and Asian communities who swim by 30% by 2024.
3. Donate 5% of our profits to 'Level Water'. Level Water is the only UK swimming charity who provide specialist one-to-one swimming lessons for children with physical and sensory disabilities.
I (Clare Ruby) had the idea for a festival at a Lido whilst swimming at the Lido years ago. The idea wouldn't go away and so I flouted it with my friend and business partner in crime, Sophie Morgan and the plan developed. Then covid-19 hit and our events business fell through the floor.
Lidofest aims to;
1. Encourage people to get involved, be active and try new swim activities
2. Demonstrate a broad range of swim activities for the whole family
3. Promote the ‘Swim for Life’ ethos, spread the joy of swimming, and show that swimming is fun!
4. Create displays to showcase Professional swim teams for children to aspire to
5. Instil in children (and their parents) a lifelong love of swimming and other water related activities
6. Show a broad range of swim activities for the whole family in which to participate throughout their lives
7. Offer free swim safe, swim confident lessons to children throughout the day
8. Increase diversity in aquatics through the programme of activities available and inspirational entertainment and demonstrations
9. Engage with, be accessible to, and celebrate the diversity of the local community
10. Bring together the local community in a safe and fun environment
Lidofest2021 is a celebration of Lidos and all things swim related! It's been a flipping tough year and we are putting on Lidofest at a London Lido we love to celebrate all things swim related.
- Never been to a Lido? Here's your chance (and the main pool is heated!)
- Want to swim with mermaids? The first ever mermaid to swim the length of the River Thames is coming to Lidofest!
- Want to see some amazing synchronised swimming displays? We have some VERY special synchro displays lined up for your delight
- Want to try out some new swim activities? There will be taster sessions throughout the day for you to try new things
- Want to enter (and win!) some fun inflatable races? There will be two races for you to enter and win great prizes
- Want to meet some very special guests and hear some swim stories from across the globe? We have authors and special guests to fill our story room for you
- Missed out on swim lessons for your children? There will be a series of 'swimsafe, swimconfident' sessions throughout the day)
- Want to win the Lidofest swim costume fashion challenge? Yes, you do!
- Fancy a day out at one of London's finest Lidos? Charlton is a smashing art deco heated Lido with a main pool and a children's splash pool
- Fancy winning one of our super raffle prizes and helping out our two nomintaed charities at the same time?
Join us at the UK's first Lidofest for all of these things and MORE!
Follow us on insta and twitter @lidofest for updates and announcements and see the full programme details at www.lidofest.com