The Hollins ’Let’s Be Foundation’ is a youth-led, social action initiative that empowers and gives young people the platform to serve their local community, develop into future leaders and create a movement for positive social change. The Foundation operates under the tag line, ‘Inspiring change through positive action’.
The Foundation is run by pupils at The Hollins, which is a co-ed secondary school based in Accrington. We focus on three priority areas; helping people in need and the homeless; tackling loneliness and social isolation among the elderly; supporting people with illness.
The initiative, is run entirely by the young people. In such a short space of time the Let’s Be volunteers have made a big impact to their local community and have demonstrated that through compassion, responsibility and kindness we have the ability to change the world we live in.
EXAMPLES OF OUR WORK:
- A monthly hot food kitchen for the homeless and people in need.
- Annual 'tea party' for the elderly catering for 150 people across East Lancashire.
- long-term Inter-generational arts projects at local care-homes.
- Random Acts of Kindness i.e hospital visits and painting the local women's center.
“I just want to say a great big THANK YOU for giving up your weekend and coming and painting our office, what a fabulous job you have done! Not only have you done yourself proud but you went an extra mile and supported us.”
Adele Helm, Manager – Lancashire Women’s Centre.
WHAT ARE WE FUNDRAISING FOR:
We are raising funds so that we can continue to do amazing work in the community and where possible increase the capacity of our activities. The money raised will allow us to continue to serve and support the local community over a two-year period. It will also allow us to further develop the Foundation's capacity with the aim of developing a sustainable approach to our social action.
Money raised will also be used to develop the skills, mindset and capacity of young people through effective social action training and education. In return, building a future generation of leaders that have characteristics of compassion and service to others at their core, ultimately becoming agents of positive social change.
We really believe in what we are doing! The Let’s Be Foundation represents a way forward that inspires young people to experience the benefit of being compassionate, respectful and kind. We really want this project to reach out further, involving more young people and touching the lives of individuals in our community who need it. Your support and encouragement would be hugely appreciated.
NOTE: All proceeds donated will be used entirely for the activities and social action undertaken by the Foundation.
The work undertaken by the Foundation has been recognised both regionally, nationally and internationally. For example;
- Winners - Education Awards 2018: Innovation in Education.
- Winners - Education Awards 2018: Wow! Recognition Award.
- Winners - GESS Education Awards 2019, Dubai: Judges Commendation Award.
- Winners - Fusion Awards 2018: Youth Leadership Award.
- Runners up - Education Awards 2018: Community Partnership Award.
- Shortlisted - BBC Radio Lancashire Community Heroes Awards
- Shortlisted - TES School Awards 2018
LET'S BE FOUNDATION: INSPIRING CHANGE THROUGH POSITIVE ACTION