Laptops. Our aim is to provide all junior pupils with 1:1 access to a laptop. This laptop will be given to them when they start in year 4 and will continue with them until they leave school in year 6. This will massively enhance their access to technology and learning opportunities. A 1:1 approach will help the school to provide a base from which they can continue to develop, support and nurture Lakefield pupils and help support best outcomes. We also aim to reduce the digital divide so all children have equality of access to digital systems, resources and equality of opportunity.
The school’s main objectives of this initiative are to;
- continue to progress in their learning by using high quality online resources to supplement the high quality in class teaching
- continue to develop their digital literacy skills so they have a greater understanding and appreciation of technology and using it appropriately now and into the future
- work more collaboratively and in parallel in class or outside the classroom environment even if they are not sat next to the other children
- be more active during classroom learning - as an example when the teacher asks a question they can research this quickly and efficiently using online resources
- have greater control of their learning through researching materials they need for their work
- use digital materials to support reading, spelling, mathematics, science and the arts such as Nessy, Oxford Books, Phonics online, NASA for children etc
- Access information relating to future careers to aspire to such as those within the digital economy
Outdoor Classroom. In addition, we have been asked to fund a purpose built outdoor classroom for the infants to access. This will give a fantastic opportunity to extend learning outdoors, making full use of the natural environment and giving access to a wider range of learning resources.
The total cost of both projects over the next 2 years is £16,000