What is Kustom Kids?
My name is Tope and I am a 24 year old with a massive love for kids’ fashion. I wanted to give you an insight into why I launched Kustom Kids, my plans to expand and what I plan to do with the money raised.
I launched Kustom Kids in June 2019 with so many ideas regarding what I wanted to do with it and how to move it forward to be my dream business. For those who haven’t known me from childhood, I reckon that the launch Kustom Kids would have been a massive surprise and seem completely random. However for those who did know me and what I was interested in as a child, this probably seemed like a dream that I had completely set aside, but I am keen to finally pursue it! I would draw clothes designs on spare paper, the back of envelopes, the middle of my siblings' notebooks and practically anything I could get my hands on! I finally had the courage this year to take the step towards building the business I had always desired.
Currently, I provide a range of personalised casual kids clothing items. This includes lounge wear sets, summer shorts sets, dressing gowns, pyjamas and much more. As I provide personalised items, I operate on a small scale at the moment and work on delivering customer orders around my full time job as a higher education project manager. However I want to grow Kustom Kids to be my sole source of income, so that I can live out my dream full time. I have a vision for Kustom Kids to be a household name for casual urban kids wear.
I am sure you are probably wondering why I am interested in setting up ANOTHER kids’ clothes line when I already have a focus on personalised clothing and when there is already so much out there already. This is why:
1. Some of the most stylish and current urban clothes designs for kids are sold by designer brands with super high price tags. I would love to create an online store with very affordable items so more people can enjoy the high end look on a budget for the kids in their lives.
2. Have you ever seen an item of clothing in the adult section that you just wish there was a kids version of? I am hoping to make that a reality more often by adapting designs so that kids can be fashionistas too!
3. Many kids clothing lines operate stores with an online element. This appeals to the general pattern of parent shoppers. However as times change, the new generation of shoppers are increasingly becoming online consumers. I hope to create an easy online shopping experience for people wanting to buy stylish kids clothes
4. With the rise of many fast fashion online brands for adults, wouldn’t it be great to have something similar for fashionable kids? Regular new releases to go with the current trends!
So why Crowdfund?
I have already started creating designs and speaking with manufacturers about bringing these to life but there is still so much to get done before then. I am joining the Back Her Business: Side Hustle campaign to try win some funding and make this clothing line become a reality. This is an amazing campaign that is backed by Natwest in a bid to support more women with start-ups and close the gender business gap! In order to attract more funding from them, I need to raise as much as I possibly can through this crowdfunding page towards my funding target of a minimum of £3000. Every single penny and pound makes a difference!
The money raised will go towards the following initial costs:
- The setup of the official Kustom Kids Website
- Trademarking of name and logos
- Production and purchase of my Kustom Kids branded designs
- A comprehensive marketing/advertising strategy
- An industrial embroidery machine (as I currently use a home embroidery machine)
- A well-equipped workshop for design and personalisation
But you won’t just be giving for free! Each pledge from anyone who is able to give will come with a reward and I believe these rewards will be perfect for the Christmas season. Please have a look at the rewards to the right to see how giving to my project could benefit you! Rewards range from personalised outfits at no extra cost, to money off of purchases or 50-100% off of the new range that we will release as result of this fundraiser!
Thank you so much for reading my story. I am so excited to get Kustom Kids’ urban clothing line off of the ground and I can’t wait for you to see what I have in store!
Lots of love,