" My memories of growing up in Burnage are ones filled with a sense of belonging to a community"
" Help us to rebuild our community's sense of belonging"
We need your support to help create a bump into space where people can come together. A place where people feel a sense of belonging and which promotes the importance of being part of a community. Its A Bread Thing is more than just a cafe/bakery. Its about building communties and supporting the people within those communties. Its about giving something back via the profits, to an area that has had so much taken away.
Linda Duffy and Burnage Community Centre are bringing an exciting new venture to Burnage. ‘It's A Bread Thing’ combines simple, healthy vegetarian food and real bread with learning and fun activities in a community cafe based in Burnage Community Centre.
This venture brings much needed nutritious and affordable food to an area dominated by takeaways. ‘It's A Bread Thing’ community cafe will encourage people to eat, learn and socialise together and will work with other established groups such as Age UK, Burnage Good Neighbours, Burnage Community Association and 4 Steps Enterprise and Learning Centre, to reach vulnerable people of all ages and improve community spirit in the area.
‘It's a Bread Thing’ will be:
- A place where people of all backgrounds and ages can eat, learn and socialise together.
- A place where friends can meet, families can eat together, and where elderly people can socialise and contribute to teaching younger generations.
- A place where children can come together to learn about the food they eat while having fun.
- A place where people can share skills and gain knowledge about their own health and wellbeing.
- A place where people can volunteer, support and give something back to their local community.
- A place where people can gain valuable work experience and skills to help build their confidence and prospects of finding work.
- A place where people can come and feel a sense of belonging and which promotes the importance of being part of a community.
We will run informal workshops in:
- Bread Making
- Growing Vegetables
- Healthy Eating
Its A Bread Thing has a community ethos. Once a month we award a free #Martynssmilecake to a member of the community in recognition of their community spirit or perhaps they have had a challengling time and are in need of an act of kindness.
We will organise community engagement clubs and activities including:
- Pizza Night
- Book Club
- Coffee mornings
- Breakfast Club for children
- Social nights for the elderly
- Food of thought events
- Dementia club
- Afternoon tea
We will organise awareness raising and signposting events relating to a range of issues and support needs such as:
- Access to advice ( 4STEPS)
- Battling community isolation
- Support for carers
- Mental health and well-being .
- Depression and anxiety amoungest the young people of our community.
- Poverty within the local communities.
- Anti social behaviour.
Burnage is an area of Manchester that has missed out on regeneration and is struggling to keep up with the rest of the city. The Burnage community is close to Linda's heart as she grew up here and can relate to the community and its issues. This insight will give the cafe a deep understanding of the struggles that local people face daily. Linda understands what is missing from the local area.
‘It's A Bread Thing’ community cafe will integrate Burnage with surrounding communities, promoting the exchange of ideas, life experiences, social values and cultural traditions. Profits gained through the community cafe will be used to fund a range of new activities and services to meet the needs of the local community.
WHAT WE NEED THE MONEY FOR
As the community centre is too small to house our cafe we need to build a home for our community cafe/bakery. The money raised will be used to build a semi- permanent building at the back of the community centre and kit it out as a cafe/bakery. Some of the funds will be used to support the cafe/bakery with its running costs during the first few months. We are also hoping to purchase an oven to provide freshly baked organic sourdough bread to our local community .
SMALL DONATIONS CAN BRING BIG CHANGE.
Thank you for your support