Help us steer a wave of actions and investments towards the things that are of real value and worth to people and the planet.
We all know that 2016 was tough.
Record hot temperatures, Trump's election victory, continued austerity and 50% increase in hate crime towards ethnic minorities and immigrant communities. The system continues to demand endless growth and profit. The stuff that makes us truly happy continues to be undervalued and ignored.
Happy City aims to help turn this tide.
Throughout 2017, with your support, we will take the pioneering and internationally recognised work, out to towns and cities right across the UK. We will:
A quick note on Rewards
Traditional crowdfunding campaigns offer rewards that get bigger the more you donate. But we're doing something a bit different because we want to recognise and value your generosity regardless of the depth of your pockets. We want to reflect that a £5 donation from a student is worth as much as a £10,000 donation from a millionaire.
So, at the end of this campaign period, we will send everyone who has donated one of the amazing rewards listed at the end of the page and an #InvestInHappy Certificate.
Who we are and why we are doing this
We're a small but ambitious charity called Happy City UK. We've been working with ordinary people, local and national decision makers, community leaders and the media to improve lives through a focus on happiness since 2010. We develop tools to measure wellbeing, run campaigns, training and community events.
We think the world needs a new story – a story that redefines what it means to prosper. We have been working flat out since 2010 to demonstrate how, when we get together in our communities, towns and cities, we can challenge the idea that our happiness is dependent on constant striving for more and more stuff and making more and more money for fewer and fewer people to enjoy.
We have run 100s of projects, campaigns, workshops and events to help get people talking about what matters to them and how they can live more, share more and enjoy life for less.
We have also developed a world-leading set of practical tools to help individuals, communities, organisations and government policy makers to better measure, understand and improve lives. It is being hailed as a real local alternative to simplistic measures like GDP, which put a (positive) value on everything from arms trading, to drug dealing and prostitution. If you think we need to change the goal away from growing these things, and instead hold our decision-makers to account for how much they improve lives then JOIN US today.
We will email you in early February to let you know what reward has been 'pulled out of the hat' for you. We hope it will be something that brings happiness to you, or to a friend or family member if you choose to keep on giving! You will have the chance then to say if you'd really rather have something else and we will do all we can to help.
Please fill in your email and postal address and we will be sure not to send you an experience that cannot be enjoyed near you.
What's on offer:
-AMAZING ORIGINAL SKETCH of Shaun the Sheep, donated by Aardman Animations, drawn by Shaun the Sheep Director Richard Starzak - a hugely popular, one-of-a-kind reward to go to one lucky donor.
- FAMILY THEATRE PASSES: A family National Trust Theatre pass - for 2 adults and up to 3 children - to attend three outdoor theatre events in 2017.
- TEAM BUILDING DAY: A fantastic team building day, for up to 15 people, at The Community Farm in picturesque Chew Magna. Lunch for you and your colleagues will be prepared in a traditional pizza oven for that authentic rustic taste. Trailer here.
- BBC BOOKS & DVDs: Planet Earth I & II DVD collection and accompanying book and soundtrack and Autumn Watch Jigsaw puzzle!
- WELLBEING WORKSHOP: An exclusive Happy City Wellbeing workshop for your workplace or a community project of your choice (worth £750).
- DVDS: 'The Economics of Happiness' documentary from Local Futures. "What's our favourite documentary of all time? The one film we wish everyone could see? Hands down, this is it. It is truly one of the most important and useful films for inspiring change that has been made in a generation" - Films for Action.
- COLLECTORS ITEMS: A one-off set of 2nd edition Bristol Pound notes containing all denominations and a certificate of authenticity.
- CINEMA TICKETS: Ticket for you and a friend to view a film of your choice at the independent Watershed cinema in central Bristol.
- GUIDEBOOK: 'Wild Garden Weekends' – the first guidebook of its kind. Recommends nearly 400 of the best secret gardens, wild flower meadows, kitchen garden cafes and the most enchanting places to stay. Foreword by Sarah Price, Chelsea Gold medal-winning garden designer and designer of the 2012 gardens at the London Olympic Park.
- SUBSCRIPTION: A years subscription to'STIR Magazine' from Stir to Action. A community organization that publishes a quarterly magazine, runs workshop programmes and short courses, produces how-to resources for setting up co-operatives and community enterprises, commissions original artwork and facilitates social economy start-ups.
- DESK SPACE: Unlimited Co-working access passes for Redbrick House Bristol. Redbrick house offer a beautiful multi purpose co-working space, with one floor dedicated to solo work and one floor offering a communal space to spark discussions and socialising.
- GUIDEBOOKS: The second edition of 'Wild Swimming' a photo guide includes 100 amazing new wild swimming locations, brand new coverage in the South-East and the Midlands, new information for kids and families, new ideas for pubs, campsites, boat trips and weekends, new ratings on safety and access.
- BRUNCH FOR TWO: Treat yourself and a loved one to a deliciously organic and locally sourced brunch at one of Better Food Company's cafes in Bristol.
- BOOKS: A copy of Sebastian Pole's beautiful book 'Cleanse Nurture Restore'. This book will soothe your senses and calm your mind with tea recipes and inspiring illustrations.
- SUBSCRIPTION: A year-long subscription for The Community Farm's 'Carrot Club' Membership gives you a 10% discount on fresh produces boxes, workshops and children's activities from The Community Farm.
- BOOKS: We've been donated a beautiful array of 25 books from the publishing houses Quercus and MacLehose with subjects ranging from fiction to self help. Titles such as 'The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a F**K' by Sarah Knight, 'Fall of Man in Wilmslow' by David Lagercrantz and Bill Baileys's Remarkable guide to British Birds.
- TRAVEL BOOKS: From Sawday's Travel. We have a selection of titles including "Dog-Friendly Breaks in Britain" and "French Bed & Breakfast" and many more.
- TEA TIN or PUKKA HERB'S: A beautifully decorated Pukka Tea Tin or a selection box of Pukka Herb's most popular teas to help you concentrate on your well being by enjoying a soothing cuppa.
- BOOKS: 'Only Planet - a flight-free adventure around the world'. In an inspirational tale of global adventure by Ed Gillespie.
- SUBSCRIPTION: A year's subscription to 'Another Escape' magazine. A beautifully printed journal which is an outdoor lifestyle, creative culture and sustainable living publication that explores the stories of passionate people, alluring landscapes and intriguing ideas.
-COFFEE AND CAKE: A voucher for four people to enjoy speciality coffee and local cakes at Dom's independent coffee house next to Bristols Hippodrome.
- THEATRE TICKETS: A pair of tickets to see A Brimful of Asha at Tobacco Factory Theatre in Bristol in May 2017. An international smash hit show, A Brimful of Asha is a hilarious and heart-warming tale of a family caught between two cultures and has proven an instant favourite with audiences everywhere.
Huge thanks go to all our Reward Partners: