WHAT WE WANT TO DO
This International Women's Day, we want to gift something beautiful, comforting, and deeply healing to the brave survivors/escapees of 'domestic' abuse being cared for by the phenomenal NIA Project and Reigate and Banstead Women's Aid (RBWA) teams.
To that end, we want to gift them the tools, resources and funds needed to renovate and equip currently derelict / unused rooms, and transform them into desperately needed counselling and mediation rooms.
Three shelters, three rooms ...
Each with the potential to gift survivors a calm space in which to begin the tough journey they need to make to face their traumas, and learn new skills to overcome them.
WHAT WE NEED
Each of the three supported shelters have submitted their 'dream' wishlists to us. These lists include a total ask of:
- x12 Yoga Mats (£12.99 each)
- x3 Sensory/mood lamps (£19.99 each)
- x4 Chairs (approx. £129.00 each)
- x2 bean bag chairs (£27.99 each)
- x3 Hot drinks machine (£59.99 each)
- Renovation works (to extract an old sink and repaint walls est. £2,000)
- x6 Storage units (approx. £65 each)
- x2 Laptops (approx. £299 each for counsellors)
- Board & Confidence-Building Games (between £10.99 - £13.99 each)
- Arts & Crafts goods (£100)
For the next few weeks, we will be seeking to raise the funds we need to begin works immediately.
Every penny and pound gifted will go straight towards creating a safe and peaceful space survivors of violence need to come to terms with their experiences. A space which in lockdown, has not been available, with communal rooms shut and many survivors without access to basic equipment (iPads, computers, smartphones) to access online therapy sessions.
So come join us in this goal, and let's make International Women's Day 2021 a day our supported shelters will remember with joy, for many years to come...
With great love and light,
The Making Herstory Team XXX