Tiny Tickers is a small UK charity working to improve the detection and care of babies with serious heart conditions. A baby is born with a serious heart condition every 2 hours in the UK and despite congenital heart disease being one of the biggest killers of infants, less than half of these conditions are picked up during pregnancy. That's why we exist, to give these babies a better start in life and to support their families and the health professionals that look after them.
What we do:
- We fund vital life-saving equipment - by placing pulse oximetry machines in maternity wards we aim to improve detection at birth.
- We are the sole provider of hospital-based fetal cardiac screening training for sonographers throughout the UK, thus enhancing the confidence and skills sonographers need to detect heart defects during routine pregnancy scans.
- We ensure the voice of parents and the needs of babies are heard by those setting standards in CHD services.
- We inform and empower parents-to-be about their 20 week scan and raise awareness of the five potential signs of undiagnosed CHD.
- We support families by complementing medical material with practical information and peer-to-peer advice; giving parents the information they need to navigate this challenging time.
Due to the ongoing effects of COVID-19 our income is still at risk but our charity has never been more needed. Whilst much of what is normal in our lives may have shut down, our cause has not closed. Sonographers are still performing pregnancy scans. Babies with CHD still need to be diagnosed.
Your support will help us to continue adapting our virtual support groups & virtual family resources to ensure support is available to families at all stages from diagnosis, to receiving treatment.